What is best automation solution? Multiple rules or multiple conditions?

rubico September 16, 2021

I'm creation automation for a project pipeline, changing the task status when subtasks change status.

I currently have one rule for each status, and everything works as designed. But something that I can stop thinking about is: what approach has a better performance? Creating multiple rules as I did, or creating a single rule with multiple conditions?

I'm asking it because I feel the tasks are taking a bit longer than I expected to.

1 answer

1 vote
Support Team [Clearvision]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2021

Hi Rubico,

I've found a page regarding performance of Automation, although from 2018 before Atlassian acquired Automation for Jira it is still worth a read:

https://blog.codebarrel.io/how-to-optimize-your-automation-for-jira-rules-for-best-performance-4b5fdf751faa

They do recommend to combine Rules where possible. But at the end of the day it is your choice.

In the audit log of each rule it gives a duration, so you can see if there is hold up somewhere or to test if making changes does impact speed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events