Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is a box in BigPicture?

I have been seeing documentation of various types about BigPicture 8 and how boxes are going to be the next great thing.  I really like BP and I look forward to it, but so far I have no clear understanding of what a box is and how things will change moving forward.  I am concerned that this will be disruptive and have an uncomfortable adjustment period for people who are using or are familiar with BP7. 

Do any of you have clear definitions of what a box is and a good idea of what's coming?

1 answer

Hello Rob,

Programs known from BigPicture version 7 are being retired, while [Boxes] are emerging in the new BigPicture 8, and version 8 is just about to debut.

Predefined Box types can be seen in the below figure 1. Agile project, Classic project, Hybrid project, Iteration, LeSS Requirement Area, SAFe ART, Portfolio - these are all examples of boxes.

Now, how the new box is superior to the earlier program?

1. Box types can be configured to a large extent, see fig. 2. A BigPicture admin might be assigned to box types configuration.
  2. Once the box type has given birth to an instance of a project, program, phase, or ART, this real-life box can be further configured, this time by a project / product manager.
  3. Boxes are equipped with sockets to which you can plug in tools your teams love, such as Trello, Jira Cloud / Server instances (Rally and Azure DevOps will follow). This is 2-way sync.
  4. Theoretically incompatible boxes, such as an agile program A, hybrid program B, SAFe ART C, and so on, can collectively produce a single progress bar that senior management can observe, see fig. 3.
  5. Boxes advance BigPicture to the "umbrella" portfolio management tools league.
  6. Of course, Gantt charts, Resources, Roadmaps, Boards, Risks, and other modules / features are still there in BigPicture 8, and even improved / redesigned, such as Gantt charts 2.0 or highly voted for Scenarios. They kind of differentiate BigPicture from "plain" umbrella apps.

Read more: CEO's, PM's, team member's, and admin's perspectives on BigPicture 8

Fig. 1 Predefined box types in BigPicture 8

predefined-box-types-bigpicture-8.png

Fig. 2 Honing the Agile Project box type

renaming-modules-box-type.png

Fig. 3 Overview module in BigPicture 8, a CEO might want to focus on the top Root / Home row.

big-picture-all-projects.png

ad I am concerned that this will be disruptive and have an uncomfortable adjustment period for people who are using or are familiar with BP7. 

As for the uncomfortable adjustment period - I tried BigPicture 8 and it's pretty intuitive. Once you've upgraded, your BP7 programs will become... programs in BigPicture 8, and from now on you'll be free to create new boxes, such as projects, phases, ARTs, even portfolios, not just programs. Yes, there are things, such as private programs of BigPicture 7 got public in BigPicture 8, since the rarely utilized 'private' mode has been discontinued. A video on those specific upgrade-related issues is expected to be available on YouTube by the time BigPicture 8 hits the market.

Quite another question are potential bugs. I'd be surprised not to see more of them in BigPicture 8.0.0, than there are in stable 7.11 series. Just postpone your upgrade until BigPicture 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 and you should be fine. More on BigPicture versioning vs. stability.

Thank you - this is very helpful.  Is postponing an option for cloud users though?

No. You can't postpone the upgrade if you're on Jira Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

5 mobile apps for Jira Cloud to boost productivity

It’s very important to have access to the workflow process from anywhere. Especially if you manage the work of others. There is no difference whether you’re out of office, or drive a ca...

209 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you