Using "was" in JQL with assignee

Mark_Entrekin February 9, 2022

I am attempting to use the following JQL: "assignee = currentUser() OR assignee was currentUser()".

The equals currentUser works fine; the "was" currentUser gives me an error stating: A value provided by the function 'currentUser' is invalid for the field 'assignee'.

A member of my team has no problem using the JQL and receives the information without an error.  Is there an addin I need for this JQL?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2022

If it works for a colleague in the same system, but not you, then there's probably a difference in your permissions, or what you are selecting.

Does it work with "or assignee was <mark_entrekin>" first (your login obviously, not your name)?  Does it work with other people's names?  Finally, do you have the right to browse users?

Mark_Entrekin February 9, 2022

Thanks for the quick reply Nic.

I can type in "assignee = xxx", or "is empty" or "in (xxx)" or others and it works fine.

Each of the options =, is..., in... or other options shows me the next possible entry (user, empty...) to continue or complete the statement/JQL

But,  when I use or type in was: "assignee was currentUser" or assignee was in (currentUser))), I receive the error message stating invalid field for the field assignee.

sprint in (openSprints()) and (assignee = currentUser() or assignee was in (currentUser()))

If I enter:

sprint in (openSprints()) and (assignee = currentUser() or assignee was (currentUser()))

or 

sprint in (openSprints()) and (assignee = currentUser() or assignee was currentUser())

I receive the error message "Operator 'was' does not support the list value '(currentUser)))' for field 'assignee'"

but the statement works for another person on the team.  Same project/board.

If it is permissions, what permission would break it down to a coding level and/or options used?

Thanks again.

Mark_Entrekin February 14, 2022

I have attempted to use the "was" and "was in" syntax but continue to receive the same error.

I am an administrator but are there other permissions that I also need set?

Was error in JQL.png

Mark_Entrekin February 14, 2022

JQL using "assignee was..." that works for another team member:

Was error working in JQL.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

Ah, I see, sorry, no, the "was" only supports named accounts for assignee, 

Like Israel Sasson likes this
Mark_Entrekin February 15, 2022

Hi Nic, thanks for your response but the second example above shows it working?  Can you help on when it does work and when it does not work?

Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events