It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Using Project Automation - How to trigger when sub task changes its parent

Hi,

We are using the automation rules to change the status of a task when one of its children changes its status.

The problem is that this rule doesn't apply when we are adding a child using the "Change Parent" action, which doesn't change its status.
How can I trigger a rule when the parent is changing?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Sep 14, 2020

Hi @annat_h - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share the rule that you have already? 

Also, my initial reaction is that it would cause some type of loop where the parent causes a change to the children, which then causes a change to the parent and so on. 

Hi @John Funk , 

Thanks for your response.
I do not want the parent to trigger a change on the sub task, just to invoke status check & update on the new parent when a sub task changes its parent.

Attaching here screenshot of the ruleUntitled 2.png

John Funk Community Leader Sep 15, 2020

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. What does the Audit Log say? What is not working? 

Hi, 

It is not working because when I change sub-tasks parent, it's status doesn't change so the trigger is not met.

I want to trigger this rule when sub task changes its parent.

John Funk Community Leader Sep 15, 2020

Okay, I am confused now. That is not what you rule is doing - it is triggered by a change in the status of the Sub-task. But you say it is not working because of a change to the sub-task's parent. Your trigger is not based on a change to the parent.

So, can you list the exact steps that you want to happen when? For example:

1. The status of a sub-task changes to In Progress

2. Check the parent to see if all of the sub-tasks now have the same status of In Progress now

3. If so, then change the status of the parent to In Progress. 

Etc.

Just list out the steps/actions   :-)

I'll explain from scratch:

I have the rule I attached. It works great.

but imaging the following scenario:

Task T1 has subtask s1. both in To Do state.

Task T2 has subtask s2. both in In Progress state.

I change s2 parent to be T1 (instead on T2). Now the rule isn't triggered, and I have Task T1 is state "To Do" with s2 in state "In Progress".

I want the "Change Parent" action to trigger similar rule (to the one attached) that will change T1 state to be "In Progress".

Hope this is more clear now.

Hi @annat_h ,

You should create a new rule and use 'Issue updated' as trigger for your rule.

With branching for parent, like you did in your other rule, you can change the status of the parent.

Rudy

John Funk Community Leader Sep 16, 2020

@annat_h  - So I think the second rule (on the same project) would look like this:

screenshot.png

Thanks @John Funk & @Rudy Holtkamp _TMC_ .

Will "Issue Updated" work both for status update & parent update?
Will I only end up with 1 rule for both cases?

Yes it will trigger on every issue update.

If you need to specify (in e.g. another use case/rule) you need to add a condition (if 'user type' = sub-task then)

Like John Funk likes this

@Rudy Holtkamp _TMC_ @John Funk 
I changed the rule as discussed, but now I have another problem:
This doesn't change the status of the original parent, and I do not have it anymore.
Any way to get the original parent?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Expose your beautifully crafted Dashboard through the Jira Service Desk Customer Portal

A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when you're trying to find relationships and understand your data. Here, Dashboards play a vital role in gaining insights from a variety of dat...

344 views 5 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you