Using Automation to add a repeating monthly task with a due date

Andy Woodhouse April 8, 2020

Hi All,

I am trying to automate a repeating task when a it is transitioned from In Progress to Done, then create another task for the following month and specify a due date of the 1st week of the month.

I can get it to create the repeating task but the due date always remains blank.

Screenshot Automation.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2020

Hi Andy - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Why aren't you just populating the Due Date field when you create the new issue? Meaning as a part of the "Then: Create a new" step above?

Andy Woodhouse April 9, 2020

That's great works perfectly, thank you!

I'm very new to automation and still finding my way around.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2020

Great - glad it worked for you!

Karen_Parpagene-Shamenek June 18, 2020

I'm new to Jira, only a week in and working through our first sprint.  I have multiple tasks that will repeat each month, so looking to set up those  tasks with automation instead of having to recreate them ongoing. 

I think we're using basic Jira, is Automation an add-in function, as I don't see it anywhere in my Jira?  Or does it require Administrative access to set up automation? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2020

Hi Karen - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you are using Jira Cloud, it is built in functionality. Here is some more information:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

If you are using Server, then there is a free add-on called Automation For Jira Lite which has limited functionality. A full functioning paid add-on is also available (just drop Lite in the name :-)

0 votes
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2022

Hi, @Andy Woodhouse !

Try out Business Process Manager add-on to automate repeating tasks when it transitioned from In Progress to Done. Use a submission action function for such a case,

image.png

Also, you`re able to create a due date

image.png

My team has developed BPM plug-in to streamline business procedures in Jira, you can read more about full functionality there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events