Updating a ticket based on linked issue's status

Arthur Bershadskiy August 3, 2021

Hello JIRA community, 

I am trying to figure out how to solve for a particular use case and am wondering if anyone else has ran into a similar problem. For context, we have two projects used for:

1. Feature requests

2. Development work

The idea is that we will get users submitting requests to project 1 and when we approve the request, it will create a ticket in project 2 and link it to the ticket in project 1. What we'd like to be able to do is either update the status of the ticket in project 1 (ticket A) when the linked ticket (ticket B) is transitioned to the workflow.

I know we can update a custom field as a post function for project 2 transitions but there are cases where a ticket in project 2 may have linked issues unrelated to project 1 and it seems like this might cause problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this? 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JasonB3 August 5, 2021

I'm coming across the same need for almost the same scenario. So I gave the automation rules a crack and, yes. It does appear to be possible. 

Here's my code

Untitled.png

It's worth noting that in order to make this work, the rule's scope must be set to All Projects. (in other words, global) This means you also need to be a Jira Administrator in order to make such a rule. 

This works for me, because I'm not trying to kick off any further workflow progression in the source project. Instead, I'm relying on the notifications of the source issue's Assignee and Watchers to acknowledge the generic comment and perform any needed investigation. Doing it this way is a lot more flexible to work across any issue type or custom workflows. 

Hope that helps

0 votes
Arthur Bershadskiy August 3, 2021

Does anyone have an example of how you could do this with automation? I don't see anything in there that easily accomplishes this. I think the difficulty comes when I want to ensure that the linked issue only updates the status in Project 1 not any linked issue.

0 votes
Ignacio Aredez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

The automation rules allow you to create this easily. You can do it at project or instance level

0 votes
Klára Zikešová August 3, 2021

I´d suggest Automation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events