Updating Watchers from Custom User Picker (Multiple Users)

Ben April 7, 2023

Hi JIRA Community,

I'm trying to set up an automation that will update watchers based changes my team makes to a customer User Picker (Multiple Users) field. 

If I use a smart value for that User Picker (Multiple Users) field, it doesn't seem to successfully add multiple users.

What am I doing wrong and is there a different and better way to approach doing this?

In the future, I'd like to change the watchers based on issue state as well.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 10.38.39 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-10 at 10.38.56 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-10 at 10.39.19 AM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2023

Hi @Ben and welcome to the community,

Can you please post your rule here, audit log, as well as explain what do you mean by "doesn't seem to successfully add multiple users"? Some of them are added, or none of them are added?

Ben April 10, 2023

Hi Alex, screenshots added. The automation is not adding the users in the custom field to the watchers list.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

@Ben try removing the brackets from the smart value.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

However keep in mind that Jira will only add those users who have visibility of the issue.

Ben April 11, 2023

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ there are 3 sets of brackets. I'd like to confirm you want me to remove all 3.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Yeah, sorry. I meant square brackets. Write

{{issue.Add Watchers}}
0 votes
Nigel Haycock October 24, 2023

Hi
I'm having a similar issue.  Tried several iteration based on various threads on this forum.  We have custom field in our project Called 'ONB Tech Lead' which is a People field.  I want whoever is added to that field to be automatically added as a watcher.  Current iteration uses {{issue.ONB Tech Lead}} as the field but have tried {{issue.ONB Tech Lead.Name}}, {{issue.ONB Tech Lead.displayName}}, {{issue.field.ONB Tech Lead.accountId}} and maybe a few others.  

When I test adding a person to the field, I see that the rules runs successfully but Action Details say "No actions were performed."

Add Tech Lead.png

Any ideas?  This is a Team managed Project

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events