Updating Child issues with Automation (Portfolio in use)

Michael Chapman June 20, 2017

I am using Jira Server with both Automation and Portfolio installed.

Portfolio allows creation of a Parent type.  This creates a "Parent Link" that is settable in Epics.  The Epics show up as Child links in the Parent Issue Type.

I want to push values from the Parent Issue Type to Child Epic(s) and Storie(s) linked to the Epic(s).  I have tried using the "Branch Rule / Related Issues" action but this doesn't trigger on the Child Epics of the Parent.

What I have is:

Capability->Epic->Story

I want to push the labels from the Capability to the Epic(s) and Storie(s)

I also want to push Fix Version(s) down as well.

Any help appreciated,

Mike

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2017

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the slow response. I think this is the same question you asked via https://codebarrel.io/support

I'll post the same answer here so that other users can find this too:

We are planning on adding first class support for portfolio. For now what might help in this case is to use the 'Branch / Related issues' action to get to the related issues in the Portfolio hierarchy. The related issues action can use JQL to search for related issues including smart fields  - so if there's a way to construct a JQL query that finds related portfolio hierarchy issues of another issue then this should let you action them with any of the actions available in Automation for JIRA.
The rule would look like this:

• Trigger: issue transitioned
  • Related action with JQL: some query with to look for issues where the hierarchy field is equal to {{issue.key}}
  • Action: Edit Issue

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
 Andreas

1 vote
Pete Singleton July 17, 2020

Just stumbled upon this as I have the same issue, did you find a solution?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events