*Updated* - Deprecating the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets app

Update as of August 19, 2022

Hi Community,

On August 15 (below), we announced our intention to deprecate the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets app. Since our announcement, we’ve heard loud and clear how passionate the community is about this app and how business-critical the data generated by the app is to your teams.

Based on your feedback, we’ve reversed our earlier decision and will continue to maintain, run and evolve the application as we were prior to the announcement.

We’re so sorry for the concern we’ve caused and we’ll be reaching out to some of you to understand what we missed. Special thanks to everyone who took the time to share your feedback with us.

----------------

After much consideration, we've decided to deprecate the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets app due to low usage.

At Atlassian, we work to make team collaboration more fluid, more focused, and more impactful for all team members, wherever you work. When we shipped Jira Cloud for Google Sheets, our goal was to help everyone be more productive with Jira and Google Sheets.

Unfortunately, that endeavor wasn’t nearly as successful as we hoped and usage is low. After chatting with several of our users it became clear that while the plugin adds some value, it doesn’t offer the usability we had hoped.

We’ve therefore decided to discontinue this Add-On until we find a better solution. You can keep using it for now but it will cease to function on Nov 15, 2022.

Sunset timeline

• 8/15/22: Users will see an in-app message stating this app will be deprecated in 90 days

• 9/15/22: App will be disabled for any new users. Marketplace listing will be removed and all related documentation

• 10/15/22: 30-day reminder via email and within the app about deprecation
  • 11/15/22: We will disable connecting the app for existing users

There are other alternative apps in our Atlassian Marketplace that we recommend taking a look at.

Thank you,

The Atlassian Product Integrations team

173 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Dave Crawford August 15, 2022

This is extremely upsetting :(   I can't even begin to describe the amount of work this is going to cause me! 

Like # people like this
Guilherme Araujo de Oliveira August 15, 2022

No, please no. I beg :(

Utilizo diariamente o Jira Cloud for Sheets e acho que muitos não usam por falta de conhecimento desta função espetacular e ainda por cima automática usando o schedule.

Like # people like this
Peter Logsdon August 15, 2022

Please reconsider I was actively in a POC meeting showing the power of being able to manage our teams projects faster and more efficiently using this integration when the notification of the deprecation popped up.

I feel the lack of adoption is from people not being informed and given demos of how to leverage it. 

Like # people like this
Andrew Herrera August 15, 2022

I know our team uses it heavily. I've pushed it to users but I didn't know it existed until I accidentally stumbled upon it.  I feel Atlassian poorly promoted or notified users about it. 

Will this also be getting rid our open in google sheets button in the advanced search? If not then why are you sunsetting this app when you're maintaining the functionality that button is using. 

We use it so heavily and have only 3 months to transition to manually importing our tickets is another point of frustration. This makes me want to listen to those in our company advocating for other systems. While they maybe more at least they are stable.

Like # people like this
Tim August 15, 2022

This is disappointing. :( 

Could there be other features added to it - of course! 

But taking it away completely, without an approved Atlassian method just plain sucks; especially since it took me some time to fight for the extension to be added to our Google Sheets with our Google Work Suite Admin and security Admin. 

:(

Like # people like this
Wesley Adams August 15, 2022

Please extend the time to deprecation as our team relies on this and will not have the time to replace it by November 15. @Tygrr DosRemedios 

Like # people like this
Tim August 15, 2022

Also, the Atlassian Marketplace link provided in the article is for CRM connections. :( 

I need a supported Atlassian add-on for Google Sheets! 

:(

Like # people like this
Cassio Reis August 15, 2022

This is extremely frustrating. We have several connections with Jira fields and Confluence pages to calculate items and display them on reports.

A big step back!!! Rethinking this platform...

Like # people like this
benclohesy August 15, 2022

And you can bet that there won't be any no-cost integrations.... This whole marketplace to add on functionality is driving the product to be way too expensive for our small company.  I can't keep paying for extra functionality 

Like # people like this
Shannon Osvog Armstrong August 15, 2022

This is cause for concern for sure!

We rely heavily on having this tool in JIRA

• What companies were asked to weigh in on this decision?
  • Did said companies know the VALUE of using google sheets? 
Like # people like this
JM Flores August 15, 2022

No! Please reconsider! This is extremely valuable on my end. This integration has helped me and my team to get all our processes and tracking streamlined! :( 

Like # people like this
JM Flores August 15, 2022

The features that googlesheet x JIRA offers is way easier and more convenient than JIRA x excel.

Like # people like this
Jamison Kingfield August 15, 2022

"We’ve therefore decided to discontinue this app until we find a better solution."

... it is understandable if the goal is to find a more useful next-gen tool; but that should not preclude the continued support of this app in the meantime.  Not only is this app used by admin's, but we have many operators of Atlassian tools that utilize these features to sync between workspaces to perform critical daily work in a tool they are comfortable with - Google Sheets.

If the issue for Atlassian is cost to maintain this app for now, then put a price on it accordingly.  As businesses we can understand that at least.  A forced migration however to another integration tool within 3 months for an Enterprise-level client is untenable for users heavily reliant on this.

Edit: Citing Google Sheets as a 'comfortable' tool is because the need is not just rendering in a tabular Excel-view with 2-way communication.  Syncing data to a separate 'online tool' (Sheets) to perform more advanced data comparisons not native to Jira/JQL is a need.  The number of plugins required to do this would be patchwork, and/or have higher technical barriers for the average operator/user.

Some community threads on some of these asks:

Like # people like this
Daniel Franz - JXL
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 15, 2022

I'm sure the Jira to Google Sheets integration is used for various different purposes. For the ones among you who use it to view and edit their issues in a table format, with features like issue grouping, sum-ups, conditional formatting, copy and pasting fields, etc. there is a great alternative right inside Jira.

jxl-demo-cloud-view-v5-sm.png

Check out JXL for Jira and secure your free trial on the Atlassian Marketplace here. (Full disclosure: I'm on the JXL team!) If you're affected by this deprecation/sunset also feel free to get in touch with us and we'll look into granting you a promo code for a discount or an extended trial period. Hope this helps a bit!

Like # people like this
Megha Debnath August 15, 2022

This is very disappointing. This extension is extremely helpful in my organization and discontinuing this will make our jobs very difficult. I hope this decision will be reconsidered. :(

Like # people like this
Juan Antonio Ruzafa Sala August 15, 2022

Hi @Tygrr DosRemedios , can you help me understand this decision?

In your post you mention two reasons, low adoption and usability issues.

Low adoption: at https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/jira_cloud_for_sheets/1065669263016 you can see that the plugin has 1,807,035 downloads, which from my point of view is quite a big number of people that found the plugin is interesting.

Usability issues: we all now the plugin has some issues, specially on the refresh side, but all that issues are solvable, it's just a matter of putting some effort.

So given that, I cannot understand your reasons thus I find this decision very disappointing. Please reconsider it, because you are leaving your users without any free and simple alternative. 

Like # people like this
Shaul Gazit August 16, 2022

This is pretty disheartening for our team as well!

We rely heavily on the flexibility of this integration.  

Like # people like this
Tim Swanwick August 16, 2022

This is a backwards step. No idea what Atlassian are thinking. 

Why not reach out to your customers first before making such a decision...?

Like # people like this
Maria Andrea Famini August 16, 2022

Our organization heavily uses Jira Cloud for sheets especially in reporting. There are a lot more fields that can be exported using Jira Cloud for sheets that are not possible to be extracted inside Jira issue search. Our reports automatically refreshes with updated data using the the schedule in Jira cloud for sheets.

Please reconsider. Currently, there is no add-on in Jira that can do these. 

Like # people like this
Jennifer Matern August 16, 2022

I can only repeat what the others already mentioned and emphasize how important this tool is. We're doing a lot of analyses of projects with this tool, as the dashboards in Jira as just not as flexible as they could be.

We're using this tool for so many different reportings (especially with the scheduling function) and it will be a heavy loss / hard way to find something else to do this.

Please reconsider your decision.

Like # people like this
Cameron August 16, 2022

This tool is integral to many of our processes. We will need to reconsider our project management tools if this tool is removed

Like # people like this
Mari van Lill August 16, 2022

Our organisation uses this tool every day. Please reconsider!

Like # people like this
kevin.laguerta August 16, 2022

As others have mentioned. We have already used this tool in our analysis on all of our projects and have contributed a lot of hours into this process. 

This tool is the only tool I find most useful whenever I want to export JIRA tickets and data as well as smoothly integrate with Spreadsheet.

I don't even understand why this is even considered where there is so much potential to it. 

Everyone that I know, who learned about this tool is amazed by it and is now using it so I believe that it has mostly been poorly advertised which causes low usage than expected.

Please reconsider this decision

Like # people like this
Bogdan Tenea August 16, 2022

The tool is super useful, and I really don't understand the decision to deprecate it; this is super frustrating.

Like # people like this
Pasquale Barbarisi August 16, 2022

This is really a big problem for us. We have several connections with Jira fields/filters and Confluence pages to calculate items, keep track of progress and display them on our daily reports.

A BIG STEP BACK!!! Think again about how crucial this plugin is PLEASE!!!

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events