*Updated* - Deprecating the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets app

173 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

MollyJo Tighe August 18, 2022

Please tell me you folks aren't serious about removing this feature. Will our subscription be going down in price to accommodate having to use some other service (all of which require $$ btw). 

• You don't expose all your fields to the internal search, so we can't create reports using that.
  • There's no reports system built in where I can create things like calculated fields.
  • Some fields aren't even exposed to the API.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If this goes away we'll be exploring other providers. All of our reporting runs off this system that with a one million download number has a "low adoption". If you don't want to continue roadmapping it, don't. But removing it entirely is a slap in the face to anyone trying to get decent data out of your product.

Like # people like this
Greg Pugh August 18, 2022

There is a plugin for excel.  I am trying to switch to it now.  The biggest issue I have so far with it is the scheduling or downloading of data and I had formulas where I would run the jira jql wrapped inside of countifs and that does not work well at all.  Excel function is JIRA.JQL and it is terrible.

reply to you @Mary Junkin 

Like Mary Junkin likes this
Dennis Zhao August 18, 2022

Community is reaching out about the need and use for this tool. if this is going to be depreciated there should at least be something that can offset the uses for the integration. Stating to head to the marketplace just sounds like a money grab marketing scheme. 

Getting something better in the pipe line before making the decision to end the service. 

Like # people like this
Robin Dindayal August 18, 2022

I've never had an issue with the plug-in, this has saved my team and I a tremendous amount of time analyzing data that originates in Jira. 

Please reconsider this, or at-least extend the the time until the extension does not work. 

Like # people like this
Juan Parrilla August 18, 2022

Same feeling here.

This integration is an ESSENTIAL asset to calculate in real time the workload and priority of 60 concurrent data migration projects in my department.

This app works seamlessly to extract the data from Jira.

I cannot stress enough the importance of you - Jira team - reconsidering to leave this app working as it is right now. There's no further need to improve, but just leave it as it currently works.

At least, please be open to that possibility.

Thank you,

Juan

Like # people like this
Robin Dindayal August 18, 2022

@Tygrr DosRemedios any comment on all of the requests to leave the extension as is? 

Like # people like this
Joao Zampa August 18, 2022

@Tygrr DosRemedios It would be really nice to hear from you guys.

Like # people like this
Tony Wood August 18, 2022

I am shocked. This was a key reason for using Jira. It's ability to share data to google sheets.

To be honest, 3 months is such a short amount of time to rework so many systems.

We use this to give us reports that Jira does not provide.. We also use to create Google Docs and Google sheets on the fly. 

These are production systems and I cannot believe you would remove such a massively useful feature. What else will you turn off. 

and worse, you will break everything and THEN replace it.  

Who are your product managers? 

Like # people like this
Joseph Clift August 18, 2022

Agree that this needs a response from Atlassian, if only for a clearer and more comprehensive explanation of the reasons behind the decision. "Low usage" doesn't cut it.

Like # people like this
Mike Alexander August 18, 2022

We use this every single day and the capability being depreciated will have a major impact on our workflows. For example, we use this to send an email every day (via another Google Sheets extension) with a list of all work logged that day. There is no other way to achieve this with functionality built-in to Jira.

Please listen to your users – specifically the large number that have already expressed their horror at this decision – and do not remove this key capability (at least until you have something better that isn't just referring people to the Marketplace to spend even more money each month)!

Like # people like this
Pete Bouton August 18, 2022

Hello, I agree with all the comments. This is going to cause the Avid Audio Engineering team a huge amount of work. Please listen to the community and please keep this functionality!

Like # people like this
Oscar Fernández August 18, 2022

We uses this tool every day in multiple reports, Please reconsider this decision!

Like # people like this
Rob Majors August 18, 2022

This integration is essential for project management, planning, and tracking. Google Sheets provides a comprehensive toolkit for arbitrary analysis of Jira issues such as aggregating, categorizing, visualizing, etc. etc. that Atlassian cannot and should not attempt to replicate. The tool provides an enormous benefit and makes the Jira product many times more useful. Do not remove it.

Like # people like this
Derek Boutang August 18, 2022

Please add my voice to the list of people asking Atlassian to reconsider this decision.

We use Jira Cloud for Sheets extensively to extract, compare, and report on ticket info at scale (i.e., over 10,000 tickets at a time).

I cannot imagine our month-end process without this tool.

Like # people like this
Clara Zhu August 18, 2022

Oh no! Please do NOT pull the support! We rely on this feature heavily to do our job!

Like # people like this
Tony Wood August 19, 2022

Good idea Daniel. If we all comment publicly then they might change back or at least implement an alternative before shutting the old one down.  
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/tom-gallagher-7585a51b8_deprecating-the-jira-cloud-for-google-sheets-activity-6965378638716227584-kqCW?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web

If we all post on the same thread then hopefully this will get picked up by the press and maybe their competition. 

Like # people like this
Chau Tran Nguyen August 19, 2022

I think the only problem for Jira is that the Tool is free, and they can't make any money. My company has used the tools a lot, and so far we can't find any better one.

Jira are more greedy though.

dipta.yanu August 19, 2022

Seriously guys, we can see that all the comments here are putting our hopes high for you guys to re-consider the deprecation. I believe this functionality is also part of selling point that you guys have in JIRA, where it became our crucial part for the user to boost their productivity. I'm not saying about my personal work, but it is multi-organization level impact. Yes, that huge!

This is very upsetting and I (and other thousands of users here) really do hope that you can provide a suitable replacement/solution for us before it all ended.

Like # people like this
Joao Zampa August 19, 2022

@Tygrr DosRemedios Atlassian silence may just make things worst, I recommend you guys to start engaging. 

Like # people like this
Rui Oliveira August 19, 2022

Hello Atlassian,

I understand this may not be the top used feature from Atlassian product suite, but given the very limited reporting capabilities on Atlassian products, if you want to run reports on steroids, this integration is of utmost importance. Please consider keeping it.

At Talkdesk, we use this integration to run several advanced reports on Google Sheets that we otherwise are unable to do using Jira Dashboards or other Jira Plugins that we have purchased along the way.

Do you really want to limit your customers ability to create advanced reports leveraging data that we can retrieve with this plugin periodically or even trigger based with the "=jira()" function embedded into Google Sheets? 

I strongly suggest that you  re-consider this decision. Your tools are just too limited to run certain types of reports. This gives a lot of flexibility to your customers, I'm sure, and I'm talking first-hand.

Cheers

Rui

Like # people like this
Andres Esteban Sabatini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2022

Oh no! I've just quoted a client with your app :c
Sad to see you go, but thanks a lot for your hard work this far!

Tony Wood August 19, 2022

@Tygrr DosRemedios I am a little confused. In your post you state

"After much consideration, we've decided to deprecate the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets app due to low usage."

I checked and have evidence here. 

Jira's most installed app on your marketplace. 32k installs
Google Sheets for Jira 1,800,000 

Can you explain what you call "low usage" appears to be one of your biggest successes? 

This cannot be the reason for the pulling of this product. So given the hundreds of users replying in this thread. (I am sure there are many more, but they have not seen the bad news). How can you justify it?

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 16.19.36.pngScreenshot 2022-08-19 at 16.20.58.png

Like # people like this
Dave Crawford August 19, 2022

Has Atlassian reconsidered?  I no longer see the message that this feature will be going away.  Please tell me that you realized how important this was to the users and will continue to support it! 

Like # people like this
earth August 19, 2022

Please do not deprecate this plugin, it is vital to our team.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events