Update parent does not work (transition or fields)

Arnold Greving July 18, 2012

Hi, I have set-up jira for 2 projects. In proj1 an incident is reported. When a change has to be created for this incident, i have created a transition that will copy the incident ticket into project2, and changes the issue type, and links it as Child-task.

In proj2 I have a different workflow, that has a transition when ticket goes to: In Progress, the Parent Ticket will transition also to: In Progress.

The parent ticket is not updated. Also I tried to update parent fields, this does also not work.
Can you please give me support on this? Maybe this is because I have seperate workflows for the 2 projects?

4 answers

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2012

Hi Jeroen,

I believe it isn't possible to do what you are trying as you can see in this documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task

It says that Sub-tasks always belong to the same project as their parent issue.

And I'm sure you won't be able to change something of an issue from other project.

1 vote
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2012

Dear Jeroen,

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You are saying that you are cloning the initial issue into a another issue in a different project, and you then link it as "Child-Task". But I'm not sure what you mean by "child-task". Surely you don't mean subtask, as subtasks can only belong to the same project as their parent task.

I am therefore assuming you have created a "child-task" issue link type, and you're using that to link the two issues.

Am I correct?

Unfortunately, the "transition parent issue" and "copy field value to parent" workflow functions only work with subtasks.

Arnold Greving July 18, 2012

That is what I mean. What possibilities are there to have a solution for this? We have a development environment project and a customer project. The incidents are created in the customer project, and we do not want the customer to have access to our development project. My idea was, when an change is required, we will create and link a new ticket in the dev. project, and when that ticket is In Progress, the status will be reflected in the main/incident ticket...

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2013

JIRA Workflow Toolbox allows you to transition between linked issues; I can attest that it works perfectly. Also, the developer is very active and quick to reply to questions once contacted (as well as impliment improvements and fixes quickly, usually less than 2 weeks turnaround). :)

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2012

What you want is actually possible, but not with my plugin. My plugin only deals with subtasks.

You can implement what you require with the Jira Script Runner plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner). But this is not necessarily very easy (it requires a fairly good understanding of the Jira API).

Or you can contract a Jira services company (such as Innovalog :) ) to help you...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events