Update SVC ticket based on linked issue status change

Ema Casas April 8, 2020

I am looking to create an automation in the next-gen service desk that allows me to automatically update my SVC ticket based on a status change of an internal linked issue. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2020

Hello @Ema Casas

Thank you for reaching out.

I must confess that I'm not sure what do you mean by "SVC ticket" and what is the exact update you are trying to implement, but I understand you are trying to update tickets when a linked issue is transitioned. Is that correct?

You can easily do this by using Jira automation. These would be the steps:

1 - Navigate to your Next-gen project > Project settings > Apps > Project automation

2 - Click "Create rule" and add the following rule, specifying the details you want:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 15.55.46.png

This would be the rule background:

• Trigger: When the issue is transitioned, optionally selecting which status should be considered
  • Condition: Run IF there are any linked issues, optionally selecting the link types that should be considered
  • Branch: Next actions should be taken to the linked issues of the one that triggered the automation, optionally selecting the link types that should be considered
  • Action in the Branch: Update whatever you want in the linked issues related to the issue that triggered the automation.

If you are looking for something different, please provide us with some more details about the action you want to do and what do you mean by "SVC ticket".

Ema Casas April 13, 2020

My sincerest apologies! By SVC Ticket I meant a service desk ticket. What I have found when trying the above, is that the update is to my linked issues opposed to the one I have run the rule on. What I am trying to accomplish is below. 

1. Create a service desk ticket (this is on a Next Gen project where the automation in question would live)

2. Create an internal ticket

3. Link my internal ticket to my service desk ticket as "resolves" (internal resolves my service desk ticket)

Goal:

4. Update my internal ticket to "Done" 

5. This update to the internal ticket triggers a comment to my service desk ticket notifying the reporter this would be available in an upcoming release. 

Is this possible?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2020

Hello @Ema Casas

Thank you for your details.

About this comment:

What I have found when trying the above, is that the update is to my linked issues opposed to the one I have run the rule on.

Actually, the link between two issues is bidirectional, so the automation can be applied to the Service desk ticket or the internal ticket. I believe the problem you are facing is that you are triggering the issue from the Service desk project, not from the internal project.

Since you are configuring a rule that will be applied/considered for two projects, you must create a global rule, that will not be attached to a single project. These would be the steps:

1 - logged as a site-admin, Navigate to Jira Settings > Automation rules > Global Rules:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 18.41.11.png

2 - Create the following rule:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 18.51.03.png

The rule above will add a comment to your Service desk ticket when the Internal ticket is moved to Done.

Let us know if this works for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events