Unable to create issues

Sebastian Holmqvist July 11, 2017

Since upgrading to JIRA 7.4.0, I am unable to create issues or change state of an issue. Related to ServiceRocket JIRA Utilities not being compatible?

"org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.

It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators."

"We can't create this issue for you right now, it could be due to unsupported content you've entered into one or more of the issue fields. If this situation persists, contact your administrator as they'll be able to access more specific information in the log file."

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

That could be the problem, yes.  Take a look at your log file, it should tell you the key of the add-on that is failing.

I don't see anything special in the log file. Could this be something?

"11-Jul-2017 14:44:25.008 WARNING [http-nio-80-exec-21] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.filterFormParameters A servlet request, to the URI http://msjira/rest/workflowDesigner/latest/workflowMau, contains form parameters in the request body but the request body has been consumed by the servlet or a servlet filter accessing the request parameters. Only resource methods using @FormParam will work as expected. Resource methods consuming the request body by other means will not work as expected."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

Looks like the wrong log.  Sorry, I should have said we need to see the atlassian-jira.log file. 

It will contain the "org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction" message, either shortly before or after a block telling us class names that have failed in an add-on

Thanks. It appears I was missing a license to Jira Suites plugin that evalutes one of the fields during create.

Now instead, I get this:

Caused by: com.querydsl.core.QueryException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum
from dbo.jiraaction ACTION
where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ?
order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc
offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only
at com.querydsl.sql.support.JavaSE7SQLExceptionWrapper.wrap(JavaSE7SQLExceptionWrapper.java:41)
at com.querydsl.sql.Configuration.translate(Configuration.java:453)
at com.querydsl.sql.AbstractSQLQuery.fetch(AbstractSQLQuery.java:502)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.StreamingCommentsRetriever.lambda$getCommentsForBatch$2(StreamingCommentsRetriever.java:116)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DefaultQueryDslAccessor.lambda$executeQuery$0(DefaultQueryDslAccessor.java:74)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DatabaseAccessorImpl.lambda$runInTransaction$0(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:98)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DatabaseAccessorImpl.executeQuery(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:67)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DatabaseAccessorImpl.runInTransaction(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:93)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DefaultQueryDslAccessor.executeQuery(DefaultQueryDslAccessor.java:73)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.StreamingCommentsRetriever.getCommentsForBatch(StreamingCommentsRetriever.java:98)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.StreamingCommentsRetriever.access$000(StreamingCommentsRetriever.java:33)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.StreamingCommentsRetriever$1.tryAdvance(StreamingCommentsRetriever.java:75)
at java.util.Spliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterator.java:326)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:151)
at java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:174)
at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:418)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.rest.json.serializer.StreamingCommentsJsonBeanSerializer.serialize(StreamingCommentsJsonBeanSerializer.java:53)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.rest.json.serializer.StreamingCommentsJsonBeanSerializer.serialize(StreamingCommentsJsonBeanSerializer.java:30)
at org.codehaus.jackson.map.ser.std.MapSerializer.serializeFields(MapSerializer.java:262)
... 262 more
Suppressed: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid usage of the option next in the FETCH statement.
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:372)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2988)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2421)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:677)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQLQuery(JtdsStatement.java:505)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsPreparedStatement.executeQuery(JtdsPreparedStatement.java:1029)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:83)
at com.querydsl.sql.AbstractSQLQuery.fetch(AbstractSQLQuery.java:446)
... 281 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Incorrect syntax near 'offset'.
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:372)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2988)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2421)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:671)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQLQuery(JtdsStatement.java:505)
at com.querydsl.sql.AbstractSQLQuery.fetch(AbstractSQLQuery.java:446)
... 281 more

The workflow error instead outputs:

2017-07-11 15:00:37,244 http-nio-80-exec-11 ERROR sholmq 900x3684x1 4dmb6 192.168.102.128 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [c.a.jira.transaction.TransactionSupportImpl] Unable to commit transaction : Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
 at org.ofbiz.core.entity.TransactionUtil.commitLocalTransaction(TransactionUtil.java:345)
 at com.atlassian.core.ofbiz.util.CoreTransactionUtil.commit(CoreTransactionUtil.java:41)
 at com.atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionSupportImpl$TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionSupportImpl.java:74)
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowActionInsideTxn(OSWorkflowManager.java:837)
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowAction(OSWorkflowManager.java:787)
 at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.transition(DefaultIssueService.java:492)
 at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.workflow.SimpleWorkflowAction.doExecute(SimpleWorkflowAction.java:28)
 ... 1 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
 ... 7 filtered
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
 ... 19 filtered
 at com.softwareplant.ppm.structureint.jiraserver.event.PluginIssueLinkListener.doFilter(PluginIssueLinkListener.java:55)
 ... 45 filtered
 at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
 ... 58 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
 ... 1 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
 ... 36 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
 ... 10 filtered
 at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
 ... 4 filtered
 at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
 ... 26 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
 ... 23 filtered
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2017-07-11 15:00:37,244 http-nio-80-exec-11 ERROR sholmq 900x3684x1 4dmb6 192.168.102.128 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [c.a.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 11 from workflow 12284 on issue 'VDW-20'
com.atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionRuntimeException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
 at com.atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionSupportImpl$TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionSupportImpl.java:79)
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowActionInsideTxn(OSWorkflowManager.java:837)
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowAction(OSWorkflowManager.java:787)
 at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.transition(DefaultIssueService.java:492)
 at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.workflow.SimpleWorkflowAction.doExecute(SimpleWorkflowAction.java:28)
 ... 1 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
 ... 7 filtered
 ... 19 filtered
 at com.softwareplant.ppm.structureint.jiraserver.event.PluginIssueLinkListener.doFilter(PluginIssueLinkListener.java:55)
 ... 45 filtered
 ... 58 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
 ... 1 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
 ... 36 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
 ... 10 filtered
 ... 4 filtered
 at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
 ... 26 filtered
 at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
 ... 23 filtered
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
Caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
 at org.ofbiz.core.entity.TransactionUtil.commitLocalTransaction(TransactionUtil.java:345)
 at com.atlassian.core.ofbiz.util.CoreTransactionUtil.commit(CoreTransactionUtil.java:41)
 at com.atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionSupportImpl$TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionSupportImpl.java:74)
 ... 248 more
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

Ah, well spotted on the licence!

The new error is "interesting".  It's a problem with comments. (unless this JIRA is old and has been repeatedly updated from JIRA 2 or 1.  The jiraaction table used to be the issue+updates table, but from JIRA 3.0, is only used for comments)

I've not run into this exact one myself, but there's a couple of questions I usually ask for this sort of error.

• Are you using the right version of the database, one that JIRA 7 is supported on?
  • Is the database collation set correctly for JIRA? 
  • Is the database in a compatibility mode?

I use SQL Server 2008 R2. So no... But it was running great on Jira 7.2.4. So just a minor upgrade.

Not sure about the two following questions. Nothing is changed since before the upgrade.

The JIRA install is fairly new. Just 6 months old or so. This was the second upgrade I believe.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

Mmm.  2008 is not supported for JIRA 7.3, so I suspect that's the problem.  Just because it worked for 7.2 doesn't mean the code won't change in a way that stops it working.

You need to upgrade or move your database to MS-SQL 2012 or 2104 - we can't rule out simple incompatibility until that's done.

Wow, that's not really on the map. Crap...

Is it possible to downgrade Jira just as easily? Do I need to go <7.3?

Anyway, quick creating issue seems to work. Just not via the create screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

Hmm, not a good idea.

There is no way to downgrade a JIRA.  The only option is to revert to the backup you took before the upgrade.

I can't recommend running with this problem in place, you could be corrupting the database quite badly.

I'll have to revert to backup then. But that is already on 7.2. It seems that SQL Server 2008 R2 had support deprecated already in 7.1 !?

Is it trivial to migrate to a new database?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

Technically, you'll find lots of stuff saying it's probably not "trivial" to migrate between databases.

However, most native upgrades, although people say "you should treat it as a migration", turn out to be straightforward.  You follow the MS instructions for upgrading a database from 2008 to the target version, and you'll almost certainly find the new version of JIRA works fine with it.

Alright. I still suspect this is unrelated to the deprecated support of the database. I believe it has to do with the incompatible plugin.

I will attempt to restore the server tomorrow. Then try and upgrade to 7.3.8 where the plugin should work. If that fails, then I know I will have to migrate to a new database.

0 votes

Actually, I think I pinpointed one of the faults now. It appears that the beef is with one of the Automation plugins. I don't know which, since disabling one disables them all. And that makes the errors go away with workflow. But not with creating an issue.

Skärmklipp.PNGIf I disable all plugins, I instead get

2017-07-11 16:33:58,823 http-nio-80-exec-2 ERROR sholmq 993x7736x1 a4s4sc 192.168.102.128 /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [c.a.j.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService] Error creating issue: 
com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Could not load FunctionProvider class
 at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:588)
 at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:494)
 at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.RequestCachingIssueManager.createIssue(RequestCachingIssueManager.java:192)
 at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.create(DefaultIssueService.java:238)
 at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.create(DefaultIssueService.java:207)
 ... 2 filtered
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
 at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy453.create(Unknown Source)
 ... 2 filtered
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:136)
 at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy453.create(Unknown Source)
 at com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.action.QuickCreateIssue.doExecute(QuickCreateIssue.java:308)
 ... 1 filtered
 ... 7 filtered
 ... 61 filtered
 ... 58 filtered
 ... 1 filtered
 ... 36 filtered
 ... 10 filtered
 ... 4 filtered
 ... 26 filtered
 ... 23 filtered
Caused by: com.atlassian.jira.workflow.WorkflowException: Could not load FunctionProvider class
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.createIssue(OSWorkflowManager.java:761)
 at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:580)
 ... 255 more
Caused by: com.opensymphony.workflow.WorkflowException: Could not load FunctionProvider class
 at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.executeFunction(AbstractWorkflow.java:1010)
 at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.initialize(AbstractWorkflow.java:606)
 at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.createIssue(OSWorkflowManager.java:742)
 ... 256 more

Alright, that was because I had disabled the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin which I have incorporated in my workflows.

Now I'm back with:

2017-07-11 16:46:05,106 http-nio-80-exec-9 ERROR sholmq 1006x8041x1 af26tf 192.168.102.128 /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [c.a.j.quickedit.action.QuickCreateIssue] com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum
    from dbo.jiraaction ACTION
    where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ?
    order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc
    offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])
Exception occurred: com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum from dbo.jiraaction ACTION where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ? order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events