Trying to delete all the children Tasks when an Epic is deleted

Kaoru Dagnino April 15, 2017

I'm trying to delete all the children Tasks when an Epic is deleted whith no luck.

I'm using JQL for "Branch rule/Related Issues": parentEpic = {{triggerIssue.key}}

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

FireShot Capture 13 - Automation rules - JIRA_ - https___vrlife.atlassian.net_plugi.png

The error in the Audit log is: "Error searching for related issues. This is most likely because the following issues don't have a related issue of the type you specified."

I also have tried to use "Stories (or other issues in Epic)" but it doesn't work either.

2 answers

0 votes
alejandro_radisic July 17, 2020

Hi  Carlos,  i've just managed to create a rule for this specific problem

It's really hacky, you can change the "borrar420" to whatever you like.

To use it, just change the description of the epic to whichever string you choose, and it will first delete the subtasks/issues and then the epic itself.

ygFidUx

René Lind May 21, 2021

It works and can be explained :) 

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Hi Carlos,

I don't think this is possible unfortunately. It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem with JIRA.

The issue is that we recieve the 'issue deleted' event *after* the epic issue has already been deleted.  By this stage, JIRA has already removed the epic link from all the stories that used to be in this epic.

As a result when you try to search for issues with this epic link, the search returns no results.

I'm afraid I don't really have a solution for this case at the moment.

Cheers,

Andreas

Kaoru Dagnino April 27, 2017

Hi Andreas, thank you very much for the info!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events