Transition failed unable to update custom field customfield_10031 error

Mark_Zimmerman June 2, 2020

Hello,

In Jira when updating a subtask in a Story from Test Validate to Ready to Deploy status I get an error "Transition failed unable to update custom field customfield_10031" I dont get this error when trying to set to any other status.

I dont have this problem when updating Epics, Stories, or Tasks to Ready to Deploy, only subtasks.  Please see print screen of the error.

Does the custom field need "training questions" need more permissions?  Please see print screens.

Subtask.jpgStory.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2020

Hi Mark - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It's trying to update the custom field Implementation Status when you do the transition. It is possible that the context for that field is not linked to the Sub-task issue type. 

Edit the context (configuraton) for that field and see what it is using. 

Mark_Zimmerman June 3, 2020

Thank you John for the support! Can you please provide instructions on editing the configuration for the 'Training Field' to see what its using?

I see where I created the custom filed, but I'm not seeing any permission settings.

I have also used this custom filed for our Spikes which dont have a 'Ready to Deploy' status.2020-06-03_12-25-25.jpg

2020-06-03_12-23-37.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

You need to go here:

https://YourCompany.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa

where YourCompany is your domain. 

Search for the Training Questions field. 

Then click the 3 dot menu to the right of the field and select Contexts and default value.

Then add/modify your project or the issue type as needed. 

Mark_Zimmerman June 3, 2020

Thanks John.  I can't find "Training Questions' under custom fields.  See print screens.

Could they be under some setting of Description fields?

I'm not able to find them under search either.

Thank you very much!

Cant find training questions under custom fields.jpgTraining question at the Story level.jpgDefault field configuration screenshot.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Sorry - it's the field Implementation Status that you need to check on.

Mark_Zimmerman June 4, 2020

Hi John,  Can you please tell me how I find the Field Implementation Status section?  I'm not seeing it under Custom fields, Field configurations, or Field configuration schemes.

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Can you share the screenshot where you searched for it like above?

Please see screenshot.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking?  Can you please provide the URL?

2020-06-04_11-57-26.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Okay, let's go this route:

Click on the 3 dots beside ANY field. 

Then select Context and default

Then go up to the URL address and replace the custom field number there with 

which is from the error. That should get you to the field. If there is nothing there, the field has been deleted and the transition is still trying to force that field be populated. 

Hi John,

Here is what I see when I go to the URL you suggested.  I don't see a field.  What do we do next?2020-06-04_12-10-04.jpg

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2020

Well, I guess the bottom line is that the transition in the workflow for Sub-task is expecting the Implementation Field to be populated with a value before you can transition. So somewhere along the line you need to set that field. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events