Tracking applied software hot-patches for customer production environments

Ryan Knight May 21, 2020

Hi Community, 

First time post here, I am not a Jira admin but looking for suggestions or help. I manage a support team and we use Zendesk for tracking customer support requests and escalate to our dev team for escalations (who uses Jira). Recently, we have been asked to track and quantify, for a given time frame - how many customers we apply a hot-patch/fix to a customer system. A bit of background....

Current process:

- Customer reports X issue in Zendesk

- Tech support escalates to tier 3/dev, dev confirm new bug and makes Jira bug ticket for fix and future release. Our release cycles can be 1-3 months depending on the platform. The tickets often don't contain the hot-patch details.

- For critical issues we usually hot-patch key customers directly on their system

- Currently the Zendesk ticket gets linked to the Jira ticket with a shared label "jira_escalated" and we can see how many linked tickets are attached to one Jira bug

Would like to:

- Make Jira the source of truth and take this out of Zendesk for reporting

- Track how many customers reported issue X (currently done by reporting on the jira_escalated tag on the Zendesk side now)

- Need a separate mechanism to track how many of the customers we applied a "fix" patch too.

- Have clearer tickets with the hot patch steps and linked to the bug ticket (maybe a new issue type)

Any recommendations or best practices you can point me towards?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events