Time tracking to slack

Dirk Fehse July 13, 2020

Hi there,

I want to push all information from every time tracking/time logging to a slack channel, but I can't access some values.

Those expressions are working:

1. timeSpent: {{worklog.timeSpent}}
  2. originalEstimate:{{timetracking.originalEstimate}}

3. remainingEstimate:{{timetracking.remainingEstimate}}

4. worklog.issueId: {{worklog.issueId}}

5. issue.duedate: {{issue.duedate}}

6. issue.key: {{issue.key}}

7. issue.summary : {{issue.summary}}

But how can I access those informations:

1. The person who logged his/her time.
  2. The description from the logged time.

Any hints would be so nice!

Thanks in advance
Dirk

4 answers

2 votes
Richard White _TechTime_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2020

Hi Dirk,

I believe the description is under: {{worklog.comment}}

There is no documentation for the worklog author, but according to this old question, it should be available under {{worklog.author.<user-field>}} or {{worklog.updateAuthor.<user-field>

Note, if you are using Tempo, the author field will be the app, rather than the user.

Dirk Fehse July 15, 2020

Reply does not work... 

Dirk Fehse July 15, 2020

Hi Richard,

thank you for your feedback.

This is the output of {{worklog.comment}} :  time-tracking :-) 

And here comes the author: {{worklog.updateAuthor.displayName}} Tempo Timesheets

And yes, we are using tempo... 

Should I contact the tempo-support for that?

Cheers,
Dirk

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Hi @Dirk Fehse ,

To get information about the worklog comment and worklog owner, you will need to use the Tempo API's as this information is anonymized when worklogs are created in Tempo and synced to JIRA. 

Information about the Tempo REST API's can be found on https://tempo-io.github.io/tempo-api-docs/

Best regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team 

Dirk Fehse July 16, 2020

Hi Susanne,

thank you for your feedback. Can you make a short example how to access the tempo-api in the JIRA-Automation? Are there any docs available?

Best regards,
Dirk

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

Hi @Dirk Fehse ,

Sorry, I was not aware that you are using the new JIRA Automation to do this.

As far as I am aware, all rules that can be created are based on JIRA native functionalities.

You might need to check this directly with Atlassian if it is possible to set up rules to fetch data via an API provided by a 3rd party plugin.

Best regards,
Susanne

Maarten van der Valk September 11, 2020

Is there any solution for this issue to use in automation? {{worklog.updateAuthor.displayName}} returns "Tempo Timesheets". 

@Dirk Fehse Any progress so far?

Dirk Fehse September 11, 2020

Hey @Maarten van der Valk ,

sad but true, but until now, no reaction from @Attlassian Team .

What do you thing we should do?

Best regards,
Dirk

Maarten van der Valk September 11, 2020

Hi @Dirk Fehse ,

Ok, tnks for the update.

I dont know, I think Tempo should add extra information of the user to the workflow. Maybe they can help us.

Best regards, Maarten

1 vote
Sergey Shoshin November 1, 2022

Hello, Susanne and Richard! @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ @Richard White _TechTime_ 

Do you have any updates regarding Jira Automation + Tempo connection? We have absolutely the same ask as others. 

Automation is must have to be available ... 

Thanks!

Sergey Shoshin November 9, 2022

Finally, I was able to solve the problem using Alexander Eck _Tempo_'s answer below. Using Rest API.

Oleh Henaliuk November 9, 2022

Trying now. Doesn't work. Would appreciate if you share how your process works.

I just want the employee name in the email sent after the time tracked. @Sergey Shoshin 

@Oleh Henaliuk 

1) Send a request to tempo.

2) Handle response in the next action (e.g. Send Slack Message) using

• {{webResponse.body.author.displayName}}
  • etc. smart values.
Like Oleh Henaliuk likes this
Oleh Henaliuk November 9, 2022

Worked. Problem was with double brackets, + created API key in Tempo settings, +marked delayed execution checkmark below

Martin Kovalcik October 9, 2023

I can successfully log {{webResponse.body.author.displayName}} to rule audit log, but I am unable to send email to {{webResponse.body.author.displayName}}.

I get error

"Send email
Could not send email, the 'To' address field is empty. If you have referenced a field it may be empty."

please help

1 vote
Dirk Fehse March 17, 2022

Moin Moin @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ ,

is there a new posibility for that problem?

Best regards from Karlsruhe

Dirk

1 vote
Alexander Eck [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2020

Hi,

you can query the Tempo REST API to get the worklog author (Display name or Atlassian accountID) by using a setup from below:

worklog Jira autoamtion.jpg

However I couldn´t figure it out on how to use the response for a follow-up action. Maybe that´s only the paid version? 

BR

@Alexander Eck [Tempo] You can use it in that way: 

{{webResponse.body.author.displayName}}

Alex Ziegltrum April 27, 2023

Hello @Alexander Eck [Tempo] 

I tried your proposal in my automation and I get the following error response: image.png

Could you help on with that?

Thanks! :)

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

Hi Alexander, 

The version 4 of the Tempo REST API does not include an API to retrieve worklogs by jira worklog id. 
If you have only the jira worklog id available, you will need to add a separate step to retrieve the Tempo worklog id from JIRA. 

This can be done with the JIRA REST API 

YOUR_JIRA/rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/worklog/{id}?expand=properties

(https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-worklogs/#api-rest-api-3-issue-issueidorkey-worklog-id-get)

The tempo worklog id is returned in the "properties" section of the response, similar to API-response.png

The "tempo_id " is the worklog id in the Tempo database, and you can create a variable for it with  {{webhookResponse.body.properties.value.tempo_id}}

Once you have this information, you can use the Tempo REST API to retrieve information for this specific worklog 

https://api.tempo.io/4/worklogs/{id}    

(https://apidocs.tempo.io/#tag/Worklogs/operation/getWorklogById)

Best regards,
Susanne

Like Alex Ziegltrum likes this

Hey @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ 

thanks a lot for that hint! Very appreciated. Another step forward for me :)

I am now able to retrieve the worklogs (plural) of an issue. That can be checked by the "validate" function in the automation.

Since my automation rule is triggered on a worklog created or updated, I need to identify the very last worklog, in order to check the time logged.

Got another hint how to identify the last worklog of an issue, as of time of creation / update?

Best regards, 

Alex

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

When you are using the worklog created or updated trigger, you should be able to catch the jiraworklogid (similar to the manually triggered automation).

You might want to take a look at https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/3050340390/Add+worklog+description+and+time+spent+as+comment+to+the+issue, which is an example for an automation that uses the worklog created/ updated event.

Best regards,
Susanne

Like Alex Ziegltrum likes this

@Susanne Götz _Tempo_ I was able to reproduce the mentionend example, which now allows me, to check and react on the time logged in a Tempo worklog.

Thank you very much for your support!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events