Task manager (like Todoist) with Jira integration?

Michel Hendriks February 11, 2019

I'm looking into using an online task manager to keep better track of the stuff I need to do at work. I like the simple setup of Todoist; I'm not looking for yet another board of columns.

Besides some 'adhoc' tasks, I also receive tasks through 3 different Jira boards. Ideally, I'd like a new task to be created in my new task manager, whenever an issue is created for me or assigned to me, but anything that comes close will also work.

I guess the main thing is that I'm looking for a way to combine all 3 Jira boards and be able to add other tasks on top of that.

Are there any existing integrations with apps such as Todoist that I can use for this? Any other tips are welcome as well of course. For instance, I saw that tools like Zapier but also similar tools offer an 'if this then that' integration between Todoist and Jira, though that requires yet another service so I thought I'd see if anything more integrated exists.

2 answers

1 vote
Lorenz De Smedt May 10, 2020

In case you are still looking for a way to integrate JIRA with Todoist, you can try out the new Todoist Integration for JIRA plugin on the Atlassian marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222185/todoist-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

To save a JIRA issue to your Todoist inbox or task list, you can simply go to the JIRA issue and save the JIRA issue as a Todoist task. Pretty easy and straightforward. 

Lee Cash October 9, 2020

I would be very interested in this Todoist Integration for JIRA plugin (I'm a heavy Jira user and I use ToDoist religiously) but the tiered pricing structure just isn't feasible for me. 

For example, I'm on an 2,000 person instance of Jira. If I'm not mistaken, this means I would have to pay $4,762.50 per month to be able to sync my ToDoist tasks with Jira. 

I'm probably only one of a handful of people in my company that uses ToDoist. I can't justify this cost for what is a very specific niche activity. 

It's a shame, I'd definitely purchase the plugin if it wasn't priced based on team size and more on active users (So, for me, up to $75 a month). 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

Hi, @Lee Cash. As far as I understand it anyway, to be on the Atlassian Marketplace you have to play by Atlassian rules. And that means, among other things, the user license for the Jira app you offer has to match the underlying Jira license (user for user, data center for data center, and so on). 

So, it's incumbent upon the app vendors (I work for one) to take that into consideration when pricing their apps, recognizing that for many apps not every Jira use will use their app.  I know we do. 

It's possible Todoist approached it that way but overestimated what percentage of Jira users would want the integration --at least for your instance anyway.  (It's also possible they are new to the ecosystem and didn't consider this carefully enough, but I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. :) ) 

-dave [ALM Works] 

P.S. For whatever it make be worth, I use/love Todoist too -- in my personal life. At work, we use Jira tasks and/or Confluence checklists for tracking work-related tasks. I don't mind the context switching.

Lee Cash October 9, 2020

Thanks Dave, 

I agree with your points. I'm not privy to the options available to app developers when it comes to pricing models. I fully agree that rules are put in place and vendors must adhere to them. It just seems that this particular approach is not conducive to maximising user engagement and hence developers' profit. I could very well be wrong. 

I also track my work in Jira. The aspiration was to be able to quickly sync those small tasks I create in ToDoist (I use the hotkeys exclusively, so it takes seconds) with my Jira backlog rather that going to Jira and creating a ticket. The latter is not a laborious process by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd argue ToDos are sometimes fast and ephemeral and an app like ToDoist is best suited for recording them. (Even though we do use the ToDo issue type in Jira, it is not popular, probably for the reasons I just called out!) 

Thanks again for your thoughts. 

Lee

0 votes
Ryan Carpenter February 25, 2020

There are options, but your operating system, office platform, Jira hosting, and level of admin privileges plus sensitivity to data privacy may affect which options apply.

You might be able to just use Jira itself, e.g. with To dos for Jira issues or—probably not what you're looking for—sync to Outlook with Microsoft to do for jira.

I have successfully done what you describe using TimeDoctor.

It seems like syncing with Asana has got to be possible too, but I have not looked into or tried it (yet).

Currently, I sync Jira issues with Hubstaff, which is a time tracker that has a pretty straightforward approach to tasks and allows adding new tasks separate from the Jira project. No go-betweens such as Zapier required.

• The Hubstaff integration let's you map Jira projects to Hubstaff projects automatically or manually, so you could potentially feed all Jira projects into one Hubstaff project if you really want everything in one list (might require some testing).
  • You need to create new Jira issues in Jira (or Slack, or however you normally create issues). You can add non-Jira tasks in Hubstaff
  • You can choose whether to let Hubstaff log time on Jira issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events