Structure - how can I display parent value in a sub-task?

Lenny June 3, 2021

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Use Case:

Parent EpicA

--> Sub-Task1

--> Sub-Task2

In Structure, I only want to show a list of my Sub-Tasks (I query all Epics, but I filter out so that I only see a list of sub-tasks).  
I want to have a column that displays a value pulled from the parent, ex: "Theme" Field. 

ex: Sub-task1  |  "Theme"

I tried using PARENT{value} and PARENT#level but it doesn't pull the value, unless I have the parent Epic in the hierarchy view.

Any tips that can solve this?  preferably without having to use custom scripts :) 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Hi Lenny,

You will need to the following:

1. Insert Issues: Insert -> JQL Query and enter the query to get the epics

2. Then Extend -> Sub-tasks and select subtasks type you want to display

Lenny June 3, 2021

Thanks @Fabian Lim  - i am trying 'not' to show the Epics, but only the flat-list of sub-tasks. I can achieve this by filtering out the Epics, but then i lose the ability to pull the PARENT{} value.  That's what i was trying to solve :) 

Like Stan D_lonce likes this
Nicholas Ellis _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 4, 2021

Hi Lenny,

unfortunately this is not possible in Structure currently.  If you want to use the PARENT{} function you will need the item to be present in the board, as a parent of the issue.

However, this will be possible with the release of EXPR 2.0, which should be available by the end of the month.

Cheers,
Nick
[ALM Workds]

Like # people like this
Lenny June 4, 2021

@Nicholas Ellis _ALM Works_ - that's great to hear!  looking forward to its release! 

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Hi, @Lenny. FYI, Structure 7.0, which includes Expr 2.0, was released earlier this week. 

Reach out to us via structure@almworks.com if you have any questions or need any assistance with the new capabilities. 

-dave [ALM Works]      

Like # people like this
Lenny June 9, 2021

@Dave Rosenlund  - that's great news! thanks for letting us know. can't wait to try it out :) 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2021

@Lenny and @Stan D_lonce: Related to this thread... In case you haven't already heard, you may be interested in the Structure 7 / Expr 2 Bootcamp.

Best,

-dave 

Stan D_lonce September 7, 2021

Thank you! I already signed up, thanks

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Hi, @Lenny.  First, let's confirm your platform?  Your post is tagged "cloud" but you appear to be trying to use an Expr aggregate function.

Expr is the scripting language (you said you didn't want to use scripts) of Structure Formulas. Structure Formulas are not available in the cloud edition of Structure at this time.

Is there any chance you are using the Data Center version of Jira (and Structure)?

-dave [ALM Works]

Lenny June 3, 2021

@Dave Rosenlund - apologies, I'm using Data Center. and yes Expr is Ok.  I'm ok to use formulas with scripts if that's an option. i was more referring to 3rd party scripting via api, etc. 

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Okay. Cool :) 

Now that we have that confirmed, I'll ask someone who knows Expr a heck of a lot better than I do to pitch in.  Stay tuned.

(Or, for a faster response, you can reach out to our support team via support@almworks.com)

-dave 

Like Lenny likes this
Stan D_lonce August 13, 2021

Hi, @Dave Rosenlund  any link you can provide us on how to get to the parent summary for the issue in expr language?

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 16, 2021

Hello Stan,

You can do it using the access function in the originally described use-case: access(epic, "summary") if you want to show Summary of Epics of issues. And if issues are linked with any standard Jira link, then you try using this formula: issueLinks.FILTER($.type = "the name of the link direction betwwn issues" AND $.destination = item).MAP($.source).summary

Please feel free to reach out to us directly via support.almworks.com if you need further assistance with the Formula.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like # people like this
Stan D_lonce September 3, 2021

Thank you, Stepan. We want to totalize story points as a percentage in the structure, and for getting it, we need to know at every level the issue is contributing value and the parent level (total); we need to access from level 2 to the total (level1) to have this percentage:

Summary -------+----- Σ SP--------+------ % SP---------+

level 1 epic                  13 points                100%

level 2 story 1          8  points                  62% <--- need this calculation              

level 2 story 2          5  points                  38% <--- need this calculation

I also want to know if you have an ETA for Expr language calculated columns on the cloud version.

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
September 3, 2021

You can try to use this formula: if(type="story", storypoints/parent{spsum})
where spsum variable is mapped to Σ Story Points value. The column's Format should be set as Percentage.

Regarding the Formula column in Structure Cloud: there is no ETA at the moment, this is a large feature, and all I can share at this time is that we're currently working on it. Once it is released, we'll make sure to let you know in this post.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events