Structure: No of direct children for a specific level

peter_dickermann March 25, 2022

Hi, I am building  a structure grouped be certain criteria. Now I would like on the folder level the number of direct descendants. Count sub_items or count leaves gives me too much information :-). I've alredy defined a column with depth.

Thx, Peter

2 answers

2 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2022

@peter_dickermann ,

Thank you for reaching out to the support team here at ALM Works!  I just wanted to post the solution, that @Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_  provided, here so that others with a similar use case can find the solution!

count#children{0}

Best,
David

2 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 25, 2022

Hello @peter_dickermann ,

David from ALM Works here.  

You could try adding a formula column with:

If(!issuetype, countsub_items)

You will need to map the countsub_items variable to count sub_items.

This formula will look at non-issues (folders) and for them only, count the sub-items (direct descendants).  

Please let me know if this helps. 

Best,
David

peter_dickermann March 28, 2022

Hi David,

thank you for the answer, but it doesn't quite anser my question. I want to see only the number of direct descendants, e.g. under the folder I have 4 Stories with n sub tasks, but I just want to see the number of stories.

Thank you

Peter

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
March 28, 2022

You are very welcome. 

Based on your initial message as well as the clarification you have provided, the Formula should be doing exactly what you are looking for.

If it is not, then maybe there is still some detail I am missing, or we need to review the Variable Mapping.

Could you share a screenshot of the formula you created in the structure and its results?  We are always happy to help directly through our support channels, email support@almworks.com or customer portal support.almworks.com, as well.

Best Regards,
David

Like # people like this
peter_dickermann March 28, 2022

Hi David,

here comes the screenshot

image.png

As you can see (hopefully) it says 20 in the last column, but wanted/expected is 4, because these are the direct children beneath the folder. I hope this helps.

Best regards
Peter

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
March 28, 2022

Thank you, this was very helpful.  Could you check the settings for Count Sub-Items in the variable list (gear icon)?

If you enable Leaves Only, this should get you what you need.  I mistakenly assumed this was on by default, but just tested now and found it isn't the case.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.59.49 AM.png

Let me know if it helps!

Best,
David

peter_dickermann March 29, 2022

Hi David,

this didn't help ... The result I've hoped for is 4 but it shows 17

Best regards
Peter

image.png

peter_dickermann March 29, 2022

Hi David,
it seems now that structure is counting all the leaves on the lowest level only. So a Bug with 4 sub-tasks gives a count of 4, a bug without subtasks counts as 1.
Best
Peter

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
March 29, 2022

@peter_dickermann ,

Sorry to hear that.  Please contact our support team directly via email support@almworks.com or customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events