Structure Gantt - Settings to have duration based on Remaining Estimate

c7788 May 22, 2019

Hello. In my Structure Gantt, I would like the duration of my tasks to always reflect the 'Remaining' estimate from Time Tracking.

I have a task with Original Estimate of 10 days, and I entered a time log of 3 days on it.

However, in Structure Gantt, it still shows that the task will take 10 days. I want it to show 7 days. Similarly, if I edit the Remaining Estimate field, I would want the duration to reflect the new value.

In the Gantt, the task does show that progress is 30%, but the end date is still 10 days from today.

My settings are:

Work Estimates: Use Time Tracking

Progress Calculation: Based on Work Estimates

Manual Scheduling is off

Could I please get some guidance on what values to set for this scenario?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

Hi Claudine,

When the time is being logged, remaining estimate is adjusted in different ways. With automated adjustment you would have 3 days logged work and 7 days remaining estimate. The duration in this case is still 10 days, as it is calculated as a sum of logged work and remaining estimate. When time tracking is used for work estimates, then the duration is based either on original estimate or on sum of work logged and remaining estimate.

You mention that you edit Remaining Estimate, but the task's duration is unchanged. That is incorrect behavior, and we will need to investigate it to find out the source. Would you be able to send us at support@almworks.com a step by step scenario of how you change your remaining estimate and perhaps a couple of screenshots of how chart reflects these changes? 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events