Should requirement status of a story be changing after a story is done/closed?

Bronagh Deane June 25, 2020

I have a story JIRA-1 which is tested by test case XRAY-1. I run this test as part of a test execution/sub test execution and it passes. The story is then closed.

In the next spring I have story JIRA-2 which uses test case XRAY-1 but we've added a new step and associated this test case with our test execution/sub test execution. The requirement status of JIRA-1 is now NOK. Is this expected? 

Is there some configuration which allows the requirement status to remain as it is when the story is closed? 

1 answer

0 votes
Rawan Bardini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2020

Hi Bronagh,

Yes, this can be done in many ways actually. It will depend on your organizations specific implementation of Xray and Test Management practices. 

In general, the way to address this is within the Analysis & Scope options within the Test Coverage section on the story. As you will see it is defaulted to Latest, which is going to always show the Latest Test Run Status (may not be the status from your sub/test execution on that story). This is expected behavior.

You will see an option also for Version or Test Plan. Switching to these options would let you see the Test Run Status as it was for a specific Fix Version, or a specific Test Plan. This would meet your need as I understand it.

So as an example, in your case if story Jira-1 has Fix Version 1.0, and your Sub/Test Execution also has Fix Version 1.0, then in the Analysis & Scope section, if you specify Version 1.0 it will only show you the Test Run Status for that Version. Similarly for a Test Plan. 

There is of course more detailed documentation in the Xray User Guide on this specifically (Coverage & Analysis Section).

Hopefully that helps.

So if fix version is the selected value and the the two stories have the same version, then the requirement status will reflect the of most recent execution of the test associated with that version in both stories? 

Similarly, if test plan is the selected value and the test associated with the test plan, on both stories the requirement status will reflect the most recent run of that test associated with the test plan? 

Is there a possibility to customise this field to prevent it being changed after a story has closed? To show that the requirements on the story had been met when the test was executed when the story was in progress? And ignore future runs of the test? 

Rawan Bardini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2020

Yes you are correct, if the Fix Version or the Test Plan value is the same, then you will still see the Latest Test Run Status.

I am using the Xray Cloud product, and in the Cloud version the functionality you are suggesting is not available. It is however available in the Server version. If you are using the Server version the functionality is handled for you under the "Separation of Concerns " functionality.

Unfortunately if you are using the Cloud version of Xray, this functionality is not supported. There are workarounds that have been suggested, but these may or may not work for you.

1. Cloning the Test (different test for the different story)

2. Using Different Fix Versions or Test Plans (not always feasible)

I hope that also helps. If not you are welcome to reach out to the Xpand IT support team directly. I am just sharing my knowledge as I have crossed the same bridge you are on now. :)

Thanks very much! This is really helpful! 

Like Rawan Bardini likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events