Setting a custom version select field with automation

Nicole Baratta November 17, 2021

I have set up an automation rule that clones an issue.  I want our custom field to be cloned, but it won't clone.  I get no errors from the automation and I have this in the advanced options

{
"fields": {
"customfield_12311240" : { "value": "{{issue.customfield_12311240}}" }
}
}

The field is a version select menu.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicole Baratta November 18, 2021

The solution was:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_12311240" : { "name": "{{issue.customfield_12311240.name}}" }
}
}
0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Hello @Nicole Baratta 

In case the custom field is not reflecting the value as expected, you can update the Automation rule to copy the values from the actual issue. For that, I would suggest using the inbuilt mechanism.

Please find below the screenshot for copying a field from the current issue. The 3 dots after the field name (Affected Hardware, in the screenshot) can be used to define some other value.

Please accept the answer if this helps.

Clone Issue.JPG

Actually, when I clone the field doesn't carry over - not when I manually clone or when I automate the clone.

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Hello @Nicole Baratta 

Kindly share the complete use case which would help us devise an alternate option if possible.

The use case is:

When an issue is created in the engineering Jira project where it indicates that documentation is necessary a new issue is created in the documentation Jira project with the details and linked back to the engineering Jira as 'documents'.  In both cases, the Target Release (the custom field) would be the same.

Here is the Target Release field on the trigger issue.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 11.14.22 AM.png

Here is the automation I have set up.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 11.15.35 AM.png

Here you can see that Target Release isn't an option in the fields to set.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 11.13.57 AM.png

After the rule runs a new issue is created, but the Target Release is not set ... actually, neither is the 'Affects version/s' even though that's set in the rule.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 11.21.06 AM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events