Set custom field to empty in automation

Iona Collins March 18, 2020

I'm having some difficulty clearing a custom field in automation.

When I set it to clear as follows, it isn't changed:

automation_empty1.PNG

The same with trying in the additional fields (one at a time):

{
"update" : {
"TmpField" : [{"set":"" }]
}
}

{ "fields" : {
"TmpField" : null
}
}

{ "fields" : {
"TmpField" : ""
}
}

Among other things. I can set it to a new value, and even to things I wouldn't expect a single line field to accept such as "\n" 

I'd prefer not to use a transition post function (as this is intended to be cleared when transitioning from a status and there are various destination statuses) but that's seeming like my only option.

Any thoughts on how to clear this field using automation?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2020

Hi Iona,

What does the log tell you when it fires but doesn't clear the value?

Iona Collins March 19, 2020

Kia ora John

It said "Issues edited successfully [ISSUE KEY]"

I've just tried deleting and remaking the custom field and it works with the new one, so I'm not sure what was happening with it before.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2020

Sounds good - glad you are up and running again.  :-)

0 votes
Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist March 24, 2023

I learned that you can access this end point in the REST API to know what operations are available for each custom field.

https://<your_company_name>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/<issue_key>/editmeta

I used this for the "flagged" field and it worked for me.

{"update":{"flagged":[{"remove": {"value": "Impediment"}}]}}
0 votes
Hoc March 28, 2021

Hello,

Im trying to cleat the 'Resolution' field on my end. Doesn't look like mine is working properly. 

This is what I've got. Would you be able to help?

Snip20210329_288.png

Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Hi Hoc - it is always better to create new questions in the community than to add to old ones. Please post a new question so more people will see it, and we can answer your questions in the new. Thanks!

Like Hoc likes this
0 votes
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2020

Had the same issue recently. To clear an insight field using automation you need the following json:

{
     "update" : {
           "customfield_xxxxx" : [{"set": []}]
      }
}

As Insight fields are stored as an array, you need to populate the field with an empty array.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events