Set Issue Name according to the issue type in Projects

Federico Varchavsky October 24, 2022

Hello,

Currently when creating a new issue the name is something like this PROJECT-##. (project name - issue number).

I'd like to have the naming be different.

In this format:

For epics:

EPIC-##

For User Stories:

US-##

For Tasks:

TASK-##

You get the picture hehehe.

Is it possible to have this done?

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2022

Hi @Federico Varchavsky,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The short answer is no, all issues within a project will always have the same project key, there is no way around that. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, there's no way to change the issue key pattern, it has to be <project key>-<sequence>

0 votes
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

Hi @Federico Varchavsky 

Are you trying to set the issue key or the issue summary?

Hi David, thanks for you question about this.

The idea here is to try to easily see that an Issue is a Task, a US or a sub-task.

Currently, everything is named:

PROJECT_ALPHA-23

PROJECT_ALPHA-24

PROJECT_ALPHA-25

I'd like to have it named something like:

EPIC-23

SUB-TASK-24

US-25

Depending on the Issue type.

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

That did not really answer my question but I’ll assume you mean issue keys (there is no notion of issue names in Jira). Then the other answers are correct. 

That's correct David.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I wasn't familiar with the concepts.

Key then is the "name" which is always derived from the Project's name.

So in my example: Project called PROJECT-ALPHA... key (i.e. name per se) would always be PROJECT-ALPHA-## (## being ascending numbers).

The answer stands then. The "key" would always be PROJECT-##.

No way around it.

Thanks a lot!

Really helpful comments to try to organize everything in Jira.

0 votes

Thank you for your prompt responses!

Would it be possible to add something to that pattern?

I'd like to have an easy way to see that an issue is an EPIC not a sub-task for example.

And everything named PROJECT-## kind of makes that difficult. Or, at least, more difficult than seeing PROJECT-EPIC-## or PROJECT-##-EPIC / PROJECT-##-TASK.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

No, the whole code-base of Jira, and the thousands of apps for it, all work on <project>-<sequence>

If you want to see the type of an issue (Epic vs sub-task), include the issue type in your reporting.  The main thing an issue-type is for is the configuration of how an issue works, but the close second place is for reporting.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events