It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Script JQL Functions: linkedIssuesOf() vs. epicsOf() & issuesInEpics()

Hi,

in the past we used the JQL Script Function linkedIssuesOf() to find Issues in certain Epics or Epics of certain Issues. In a newer version of the Script JQL Functions, it seems like there are some more convenient functions introduced (IssuesInEpics() and epicsOf()) to achieve the same result:  

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf(SUBQUERY, "is Epic of")
issueFunction in issuesInEpics(SUBQUERY)
issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf(SUBQUERY, "has Epic")
issueFunction in epicsOf(SUBQUERY)

Does those new functions have a better performance than the linkedIssuesOf() function? Does it make sense to migrate all existing Filters to use the new Functions?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

No - performance will be identical. If one way was faster we'd do a migration job, or at least encourage people to change them manually. (You could probably verify they have similar performance characteristics using the provided profiler).

My advice would be to use epicsOf etc going forwards, as it's more intuitive and has a simpler syntax, but no need to migrate. 

Thanks for your quick reply, Jamie.

This perfectly answers my question!

How to run the  (IssuesInEpics() and epicsOf()) functions?

0 votes
ALam7 I'm New Here Aug 20, 2019

Hi, thanks for sharing. Having some doubts here. How come these queries are bringing for my project different results

• issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter=34148") AND type = story
    -> brings 75 results 
  • issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("filter=34148", "is epic of") AND type = story
    -> bring 155 results
  • While issueFunction in issuesinepics("filter=34148") AND type = story
    -> Also brings 155 (which seems to be the correct)

Was under the impression that the linkedIssuesOf would bring all related issues (no matter what the relation), while setting a relation parameter ("is epic of") should only narrow down the results?

Any ideas?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Localize Smarter with the Transifex Integration for Bitbucket

Over 52% of internet users say obtaining information in their own language is more important than price and 75% of the world’s population doesn’t speak English. It’s no wonder then that successful gl...

413 views 0 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you