SOLVED: Stop rule execution if no issues found on scheduled job

Simon Brooke January 12, 2018

Hi Team,

I have written a rule that runs once a day using a JQL query and then sends an email.

I use 'Process all issues produced by this trigger in bulk' so that I get an #issues list in my 'send email' action and can happily iterate over them to create a nice HTML email with a table of issues...

However, I want to suppress the email sending if there are no issues...

I cannot find any way of detecting when there are no results...

What I tried was adding the same JQL into a 'new JQL' condition in the hopes that this would then fail and stop the email send...

However, this does not work. The audit log for the rule when I run it manually shows:

SCHEDULED  (Optimised)

No related issues could be found.

SEND EMAIL

Successfully sent email.

The overall status of the rule is 'NO ACTIONS PERFORMED'...but the empty email was still sent!

The rule logic is: Find me all overdue issues and send email once a day if you find any issues...

Any help gratefully received ;)

Regards,

Simon Brooke

Addendum: Just to further confirm it seems that my 'If' condition doesn't even get executed, possibly because there are no issues returned by the scheduled JQL... But that should surely automatically fail the JQL if condiiton...

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2018

Hi Simon,

You can use a compare condition.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 11.31.28 am.png

Cheers,

Scott.

Simon Brooke January 15, 2018

Awesome, many thanks Scott

Brooke Miller June 5, 2019

Hey, thank you for sharing. This is helpful for me. @Simon Brooke I'm also curious to know how you looped through a list of issues. Can you take a look at my recent question here? Thinking you may be able to help with this example.

Simon Brooke June 6, 2019

Hi @Brooke Miller ,

Once toy have a list you use the following syntax as described here: https://docs.automationforjira.com/working-with-issue-data/multi-value-fields.html#examples

{{#issues}}

<a href="https://jira.abcdef.com/browse/{{key}}">{{key}}: {{summary}}</a> ({{assignee}})<br>{{/}}

So double curlies then ending with {{/}}

I'll take a look at your other issue now,

Best regards,

Simon

0 votes
Simon Brooke January 12, 2018

Ignore

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events