Riada Insight Jamf Integration - anyone using?

Andrew Januszak August 15, 2019

Anyone using this add-on (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219908/insight-jamf-integration?hosting=server&tab=overview)? 

If so, curious to know what objects you choose to import into Insight from Jamf via this add-on and why. 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Bob November 21, 2019

Hi @Andrew Januszak

I'm currently testing Insight for our company, including the Jamf integration. I'm just having a look at what to import and what not and how to merge with existing objects. 

How far did you get? Do you in the meantime have any valuable experiences to share? 

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, 

Bob

Andrew Januszak November 21, 2019

Hey Bob, 

I'm using Insight in production now. There's a free Jamf Insight add-on if you didn't know... The documentation for it is missing important information so if you have trouble getting it to work, let me know. 

I can go on and on about a lot of things with it but generally find Insight to be a really neat tool for CMDB/asset mgmt. 

Let me know any and all questions you have--happy to answer.

Bob November 21, 2019

@Andrew Januszak - super fast reply! 

I've set up the Jamf add-on, seems pretty straight forward, though I'll have to have a look what data exactly we want to import. 

The questions are numberous, as I've just started browsing through the tool. 

Generally some best practice on setting up CMDB / AM object schema's would be great, but seem hard to find.

Biggest question so far is how to unify the users from the various sources (Jamf, SCCM, ldap, Jira) and/or automatically link imported objects (be it users or the actual assets) to Jira users. 

Nevertheless, it seems full of potential! 

Andrew Januszak November 21, 2019

Honestly I haven't come across any written best practices yet. I've spoken to colleagues in other similar institutions who have been extremely helpful...

At first I was going to break out and create separate object types for the Jamf'd computers and the Windows machines... But it became apparent that it would just cause confusion and make searching/reporting/linking more difficult. At the end of the day, they're all just computers and so I have a Computers object type that holds them all.

Ask whether or not, for when agents will be manually updating or adding objects, if you want them to be entering text or selecting from a drop-down (avoiding bad data or duplicate entries)--if drop-down is the answer, create an object type for the attribute. 

There's a User-type attribute you can add to object types that links directly to your Jira users. So if your imports have data that contain the same usernames that Jira is using on the User Management side of things, you're good.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Matthew Gaffney April 7, 2022

Anyone here moving to the cloud? What solution do you have for a Jamf integration there? 

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Matthew Gaffney,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

Our Marketplace app Jamf for Jira might be an option for you. Please note that our app is only available for Jira cloud.

If you want to learn more about Jamf for Jira you can watch this basic demo video.

Don't hesitate to contact our support, if you have further questions or feedback. We're always happy to help.

Like Matthew Gaffney likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events