Researching move from cloud to server - specifically will Automation for Jira be affected

Kimi Nakashima December 12, 2019

So moving from Jira cloud to server has been on the back burner for a while, but it's looking like it might move to the forefront. But before that I want to make sure that we've looked at it from all the angles first. There's a few posts in the community about migrating Jira cloud to server in general, but I was wondering how the move will affect my add-ons, specifically one of the ones I use the most, Automation for Jira.

Will all my rules work as normal? Or will there be things here and there that I will need to change?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2019

Hey Kimi,

John from the Automation for Jira team here. 

When migrating from Cloud to Server, the best thing you can do is export all your rules via the global admin menu in your cloud instance, then import them all via the global admin menu in your server instance (You can do multiple here).

The issue you will face though is that the underlying ids for fields etc are going to be different on your server instance, which means that you will need to go through all of your components and re-configure them. Unfortunately, there is no way we can make this experience better as the field ids in server are different to cloud. 

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions!

John   

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

I have never migrated from cloud to server and the documentation here is from server to cloud.  https://docs.automationforjira.com/getting-started/upgrading.html#migrate-from-server-to-cloud   I would suspect that the process is similar and you would want to confirm this.  

I would suggest setting up a test server instance and then perform the migration to that instance to determine what the steps are needed to migrate your cloud instance to server.  If you setup a VM you could roll it back and run through the process multiple times to ensure all the steps are properly documented.  You should be able to do this on a trial license and then purchase your server license once you confirm it will work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events