Regex format for case-insensitivity in Automation for Jira

Mike Tocci August 1, 2020

I am using the new Automation for Jira functionality (used to be a 3rd party plugin) to use regex to parse a comment which is created by email. Once parsed, a transition should occur. 

I am using an If block to compare two values where {{comment.body}} contains regex.

The docs indicate that regex expressions should look like this:

(Jira|BitBucket|Confluence)

What I need to do is to add a /i flag for case insensitivity. All attempts seem to fail. Should there be single or double quotes around the expression?

My regex looks like this in the field (fails):

(~~status:\s*done\s*)/gmi

If I remove the trailing flags, it works, but case-sensitive.

The visual summary on the left side looks like this:

2020-08-01_08-08-03.png

What am I doing wrong? Should I wrap the expression in single or double quotes? Some kind of Java (or other) flavor of regex delimiters?

Thanks!!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eric
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2020

Hi @Mike Tocci 

So basically we are using Java regex flavour. To make a case insensitive match, prefix your pattern with (?i)

Using the example from the docs, to make it case insensitive you'd write (?i)(Jira|BitBucket|Confluence) instead.

Hope that helps.

Mike Tocci August 7, 2020

Hi @Eric -- this is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks!!

0 votes
Thomas Wälti June 29, 2022

For me, a regex with the case insensitive flag worked using ?i at the end of the regex.

0 votes
felix.weber January 15, 2021

Hi @Eric 

I am struggling with your solution. 

In general I am trying to create an automation which should remain an issue resolved if a customer only answers something like "thanks".

Otherwise, e.g. if something in the solution does not work and the customer gets back to us the issue should be re-opened.

Please find more details here 

Since today I looks like it is kind of working however facing a issues with the case sensitive: 

ReopenIssueBasedOnComment.png

currently when the ticket as resolved and the customer answer with "thanks" the ticket will remain closed.

As soon as I add the (?i) in front of the regex the ticket will reopen - any idea what I am doing wrong ? 

so my regex is: 

(?i)(tha?n?ks?|thx|dank*|merci|tia|tnx|grazie|gracia)

felix.weber January 17, 2021

no clue what I did wrong but it works today

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events