REST API for automation

Peter Feigl June 7, 2018

We have to create and keep up-to-date a set of about 50 automation rules. We'd prefer to automate this via the REST API. Does this automation plugin offer any access to read/write the automation rules?

7 answers

5 votes
Becci Watson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2020

I'm also interested in the Automation REST API, except for for Cloud.

And would be intersted in testing it as beta

Hoshea Rosenberg April 19, 2020

Me too, its actually quite urgent for me...

3 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

Hi Peter,

We currently do offer an offical REST api to mange rules but I have raised a ticket to do this at: AUT-999 - Official REST Api

This is going to be a little more difficult in Cloud than Server but should still be possible using web tokens.

Are you after Cloud or Server?

If you are on Server, it be pretty easy to reverse engineer our REST api. For management it is pretty straight forward GET/PUT/POST stuff.

Though this isn't officially supported.

Cheers,

Nick [Automation for Jira]

Co-Founder

Peter Feigl June 11, 2018

We're after Server here. Could you point me towards the REST API endpoint, then I can play around with this ;)

Even if it isn't officially supported, this should help.

I'm glad about any sort of documentation (list of endpoints, whatever) you can provide.

Thanks for the help!

Like Martin Cleaver likes this
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 11, 2020

Hi Nick,

We need to retrieve the Automation for Jira audit log to integrate it with our app. We saw this API currently used in the Audit Log section

https://automation.atlassian.com/pro/rest/GLOBAL/audit?cv=1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT&xdm_deprecated_addon_key_do_not_use=com.codebarrel.addons.automation&lic=none&admin=true&cp=&xdm_e=https://roninpixels.atlassian.net&xdm_c=channel-com.codebarrel.addons.automation__cb-jira-automation-rules&jwt=[XXX]&limit=50&offset=0

But we cannot use it in connect. Any idea how we could get the audit log?

Thanks!

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

Hi

"We currently do offer an offical REST api to mange rules" - Do you mean 'do not offer ...'? :)

Please advise on the timeline or what we can do to interact with the automation rules via REST API via a Connect App?

Thank you

Yatish

Shubham Aggarwal August 8, 2021

In case anyone is looking for the endpoints for JIRA Server/Data Center, I found these two.

/rest/cb-automation/latest/project/GLOBAL/rule/<rule_id> PUT To update a rule

/rest/cb-automation/latest/project/GLOBAL/rule GET Returns all rules (still trying to figure out how to get a specific one)

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2021

I don't believe there is an API call to pull a specific rule.

In theory, you could call the global endpoint from A4J itself, and parse the result:

Snag_329b1ad6.png 

But I just get :

Action details:

Send web request

Error publishing webhook. Response HTTP status:
Error response HTTP body

An alternative is to call ScriptRunner to do the call and parse (feels defeatist, but pragmatism must prevail!).   

Either way, if you figure it out please share. I've been looking to get to it for over a year.

Bonus marks for building it as an REST endpoint in Scriptrunner ;)

1 vote
Maksim Beliaev February 9, 2024

Here is an example of the common use case we have in our company. Tens of projects that rely on the same automation and as soon as we initiate  another project we need to extend multi-project automation

You need to update base url, have env vars for credentials (admin), and find cloud ID of your instance. Then, knowing your `rule_id` you can get existing rule, add new project to the list and push changes.

Most probably you do not know project ID, thus, script derives it from the project KEY.

total parameters to update: 6

import os

import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPBasicAuth

# Variables
base_url = "https://warthogs.atlassian.net"
api_token = os.getenv("JIRA_API")
jira_email = os.getenv("JIRA_EMAIL")

project_key = "MTC"
rule_id = "16553907"
cloud_id = "<cloud ID comes here>"

# Code Block
auth = HTTPBasicAuth(jira_email, api_token)
headers = {"Accept": "application/json"}
url = (
f"{base_url}/gateway/api/automation/internal-api/jira/{cloud_id}/pro/rest/GLOBAL/rule/{rule_id}"
)

# API endpoint
endpoint = f"{base_url}/rest/api/3/project/{project_key}"
response = requests.get(endpoint, auth=auth)

# Check if request was successful
if response.status_code == 200:
project_details = response.json()
project_id = project_details["id"]
else:
raise SystemExit(1)

# Retrieve the existing automation rule
response = requests.get(url, auth=auth)

if response.status_code == 200:
existing_rule = response.json()

# Modify the rule to make it multi-project
existing_rule["ruleScope"]["resources"].append(
f"ari:cloud:jira:{cloud_id}:project/{project_id}"
)

load = {"ruleConfigBean": existing_rule, "newConnections": []}

# Send the updated configuration to the server
update_response = requests.put(url, json=load, auth=auth, headers=headers)

if update_response.status_code == 200:
print("Automation rule updated successfully")
else:
print("Error updating automation rule:", update_response.status_code, update_response.text)
else:
print("Error retrieving existing automation rule:", response.status_code, response.text)

1 vote
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2021

Hi all, I would be very keen on this for Jira Cloud. Please advise on how to 'play with' automation rules and configurations via the REST API? Thank you

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

Hi there - any update on this please? Is there a roadmap to bring the REST APIs for Cloud and be documented? Thank you

Like Shubham Aggarwal likes this
Jennifer Luo July 17, 2023

I've just found you can use GET url/gateway/api/automation/internal-api/jira/cloudId/pro/rest/GLOBAL/rule/ruleId

to grab a specific rule by id in CLOUD

But unfortunately I can't find anything in terms of updating the rule

Like Sergio Cavazos likes this
Jennifer Luo July 17, 2023

Found it! It's the same API using PUT, with body:

{
  "ruleConfigBean": "{{ruleJsonHere}}",
  "newConnections": []
}
Where the ruleJson is essentially the same format from when you GET the API
Like # people like this
Sergio Cavazos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 15, 2024

Thanks for sharing the information, I have a question and tried it
with my instance "url/gateway/api/automation/internal-api/jira/cloudId/pro/rest/GLOBAL/rule/ruleId" but what headers do you use? Because I get an authorization error and I am already using the API Token, is any other special header used?

Nate Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 12, 2024

I'd been using this endpoint successfully for a while to get a list of all our automations.

GET url/gateway/api/automation/internal-api/jira/cloudId/pro/rest/GLOBAL/rule/export

But it seems like rather recently this is no longer returning the rules as it once was, but instead an ID.  I'm not sure how to use this ID, however, so back to square 1!

Edit: seems like there's a better endpoint for my purposes now, which you have to POST to

POST url/gateway/api/automation/internal-api/jira/cloudId/pro/rest/GLOBAL/rules

payload:

{
        "offset": 0,
        "limit": XXX,
        "filter": "",
        "actionTypes": [],
        "systemLabelId": "ALL",
        "sortKey": "NAME"
}
1 vote
Ventsislav July 8, 2020

any documentation on how this could be achieved would be highly appreciated

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2023

Any updated on movement on this please for Jira Cloud? Thank you

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2020

Likewise, AI need this for Data Center!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events