Permission issues after changing automation rule from single project to multiple project

Tash February 18, 2021

Scenario: Project A needed duplicating to create Project B.  Instead of rewriting all the automation rules, I (a site-admin) changed them from single project>Project A to multiple projects>Project A and Project B.

Q1: A project admin on both project A and project B can now no longer edit the rules in either project, or create new ones.  Global permissions to automation gives admins permission to create/edit rules. Is this a bug or have I missed a permission somewhere?

Q2: I couldn't find a way around this, so tried to switch one rule back to single project so she could at least edit it.  Now I am stuck in a loop that takes me to the edit rule page, I click Save, it takes me to Publish, I hit Publish, then it takes me back to the edit rule page again.  I tried deactivating the rule, changed it to Single project successfully, but now when I try to reactivate it, it pings back by itself to deactivated and places me in the aforementioned loop again.  Admin still doesn't have access to edit the rule!  Please help!!

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

Hi @Tash  ,

I wasn't able to find the documentation for this, but I strongly believe multi-project/global rules can only be created and edited by Jira administrators (not project administrators)...

The second question... Maybe try to delete the rule and create it again? In general this shouldn't be problem, but you are experiencing really strange behavior... 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

Correct on Q1  - Only Jira Admins

Q2 - Maybe copy the rule?

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Tash February 22, 2021

Thanks @Hana Kučerová and @John Funk 

I can see the logic with admins only, but for multiple projects it would be good if a user who was a project admin on the projects the rule was shared with could still create/edit.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

Agreed - but that's simply not the case right now. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events