Pause SLA when issue is moved from issue type A to issue Type B

Jacques Marquier July 5, 2021

JIRA : 8.13.0 (server)

TTS : 10.2.1

Is it possible to pause a SLA when issue is moved (in the same project) from issue type A to issue type B ? Issue types A and B have the same workflow.

Complementary question : is it possible to un-pause a SLA when issue is moved back to issue type A ?

Scenario :

I have a SLA for issue type A and another SLA for issue type B. Those SLA starts when issue is in "Open" status.

When issue is movde from type A to type B, I want to pause SLA for issue type A and start (or un-pause) SLA for issue type B.

When issue is moved back from type B to type A, I want to pause SLA for type B and un-pause SLA for issue type A

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 20, 2021

Hi @Jacques Marquier ,

I can offer a workaround with Time to SLA - Next-Gen SLAs.

We have an option called "Field value satisfies a condition" in the Pause conditions. You can create a custom field and set this field to a value (let's say issuetype B) when the issue is moved to issuetype B which will pause the SLA.

When the issue is moved back to the issuetype A you can chnange or clear the value in this field, which will resume the SLA. Even a simple checkbox will do.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 16.42.24.png

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Gökçe

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

Hi @Jacques Marquier and welcome to the community!

Quick question, that type A and B are they 2 different issues really or is it a property on a single issue (as in you are changing the issue type)?

If it is the 2nd I feel like you should be changing your workflow and using related issues with perhaps a status on one of them indicating the work is being done on the other one.

So feel free to clarify :)

Thanks Dirk for the quick response ! 

As you have guessed, the issue type is changed by using JIRA's "move" feature, so I guess it's the same issue (as it's identifer/key doesn't change).

The thing is that we are reluctant to modify the workflow as it was really hard to have every one agreeing on it.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

I fear an SLA condition is mainly going to be about status changes.

Afaik, there is no way to set a condition on an issue type change. Process wise it also doesn't make much sense as an SLA is often related to a specific issue type.

Also imho, switching issue types back and forth is a strange process..

I get that your workflow isn't up for debate but i fear you might need to add some helper status to make this work.

Adding a new status (something like "processing in process x" or "pending x") will provide you with the ability to create (automatic or manual) a related issue which will then have it's own lifecycle. Once that issue is complete your main issue can one again continue. (and you could repeat that cycle indefinitely).

If you are open to change/discussion I would love to get more details on the actual use case.

Thanks again Dirk for your input.

I do completely agree with you when you say switching issue types back and forth is a strange process. But as always, there is an exception : 

Let say issue type A is a problem only seen once and issue type B is a systematic problem. Depending on test campains, issues can move back and forth from type A to type B.

It's the same problem (so just one issue) but our customer want different SLA for when the issue is type A and issue is type B (fun !)

What if I duplicate Workflows (one for type A and another for type B) ? 

For SLA type A, all states of workflow for type B are paused condition (and vice versa for SLA type B), do you think I'll have a chance ?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2021

without diving too much in to semantics ;-) that sounds like an Incident and a Problem to me.. (happens once vs true problem.. )

But, i'm not here to change your processes so let's try and find a solution for your SLA.

You have an interesting approach with the duplication of the workflows but since Jira doesn't differentiate between the statuses (it's actually re-using them unless you create new Statuses). If you can create new ones then yeah I guess it can work. If however they are the same status but on a different workflow, there is no way to differentiate between issue type A status 1 and issue type B status 1..

Since you mention using TTS (Time to SLA) in your tags I'm wondering if they have an option to specify a Pause condition more elaborate so you can include the Issue Type?

Let me try and investigate that..

(unless you aren't using that app?)

You're totally right, we use Incident and Bug.

My problem is on the SLA built by TTS.

As I have a SLA for issue type A and another SLA for issue type B, I find myself with both SLA running as I moved an issue from issue type A to issue type B. What I wanted is one to pause and the other to start (or resume) as I changed issue type.

Thank you very much for the time you spent.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events