PM72 MeetTheSpeakers: You Want It When? The Art of Estimating

I'm excited to be part of the PM72 event to share knowledge about project management across the world. The event benefits the Malala Fund, a cause very close to my heart. Their vision is a world where every girl can learn and lead, and the sponsorship funds and donations from the event will contribute to the Malala Fund.

The PM72 Summit is a 72-hour virtual project management event, full of discussion panels and talks by expert speakers in the project management space - from managing risk, change and operations, to team work and everything in between. Come and join us to be part of the experience!

This post is part of the Meet the Speakers Series, so here it goes! I'm a program/project management geek who has been working in software a loooong time for companies ranging from Electronic Arts, and Lucas Arts to several SF Bay Area startups. I've been using Atlassian Cloud products ever since I got into the startup world and finally decided I should just join Atlassian. As an Aussie who has lived in North America for my whole career, it's a delight to be working for an Australian company (and translate slang for my US counterparts!).

white-estimating.png

My Talk

Have you ever been cornered by a senior leader and asked to deliver a project with a very tight timeline? Do you ask the team to hunker down and grind out the work? Or do you work on creating data driven expectation management? And how will the project management triangle help you in this situation?

Is estimating an art or a science, or a bit of both? This talk will break down the topic of estimating starting with “why estimate?,” explain six of the most popular ways to estimate, and discuss the pros and cons of the two estimation units (absolute and relative). At the end of the session you will have a toolset of options to create data driven estimates with confidence.

Why should you attend?

The attendees will learn concrete information about estimating that they can immediately use after the session.

• Why estimate?

• Six popular estimating methods

• Estimation units (absolute vs relative)

• The value of measuring velocity

Add my talk to your calendar

Join PM72 Summit | Free Online Project Management Event

I hope attendees learn actionable skills from my talk about estimating, and I can't wait to meet some of the attendees in the live US after party (June 13th 3:30 - 5:30pm).

3 comments

Comment

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

Thank you for the intro @Amber Morey-Wu ! I'm curious about the different estimation methods you're going to explain.

Project estimation is an art and there is always a lot to improve 🙏

Amber Morey-Wu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2022

@Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_  love to get your feedback on the talk afterwards :)  I include a matrix on how to choose an estimation technique that I hope will be especially helpful to folks.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

I think we can all use good guidance for estimating. And a big part of that is using an integrated toolset to implement and measure. This looks like a good talk to delve into all of that. 

Like Amber Morey-Wu likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events