PHP, REST API, and Multi checkboxes.

Chris Turner April 15, 2014

Hello,

I'm having an awful hard time getting the right JSON structor to send to JIRA via REST so that multi checkboxes are correctly set when creating a new issue in Jira.

I have data coming into an application as an JSON array and I'm then remapping it to the right custom fields in Jira and then sending it off. Ever other type of field works as expected.

A snippit from the JSON array coming into the application that contains nothing but a few checkboxes selected

array(3) {
  ["Other European"]=>
  string(14) "Other European"
  ["Middle Eastern/Latin American/African"]=>
  string(37) "Middle Eastern/Latin American/African"
  ["Other"]=>
  string(5) "Other"
}

I then add this to the JSON array that is going to JIRA using:

'customfield_11333' => ["value" => $data['Ethnicity']]

I get the error string(21) "data was not an array". I'm not really sure how I should be passing this through to Jira?

Any examples/input would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Turner April 16, 2014

Well solved it. The correct format is of course

'customfield_11333' => [["value" => "Asian"], ["value" => "Other"]]

But required the data I had coming in to be reshaped to suit.

0 votes
Chris Turner April 16, 2014

So I think I'm getting close with the correct syntax at least. I expected

'customfield_11339' => ["set" => ["id" => $data['Ethnicity']]],

to have worked, but still returns with data was not an array.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2020

Hi @Chris Turner - hope you are well?

Thank you for this post ...

I am trying something similar where I do a PHP curl POST request to create an issue from a populated data block of the fields ... I tried the following (taken out all other fields) but no joy right now ...

{ 
"fields": {
"customfield_10199": "'.json_encode(array("value" => "a")).'"
}
}

To that I get:

Unexpected character ('v' (code 118)): was expecting comma to separate OBJECT entries
 at [Source: com.atlassian.plugin.connect.plugin.auth.scope.InputConsumingHttpServletRequest$1@53118af3; line: 30, column: 28]

Not sure where I am going wrong ... I have also tried adding just the ids as would for a multiselect but that's not working either.

Please advise / assist?

Thank you.

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2020

Hi, me again ... So it seems I just needed to post a reply to resolve this myself :)

The following seems to have worked:

{ 
"fields": {
"customfield_10199": '.json_encode( array ( array ( 'value' => 'a', ), array ( 'value' => 'b', ), ) ).'
}
}

Hope it helps others out there ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events