Org Chart within Confluence

Tim Oldendorf
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2018

Hoping to get some good recommendations here:

Currently we have all of our org charts created in Visio and then uploaded as pdfs to Confluence.

Looking for an easier way to do this all within confluence. And for the org chart to use confluence user details. If possible, we are looking for a way to break the org chart by departments - but also be able to view the entire org chart combined if that makes sense. 

Any plugin recommendations? Something that is super user friendly as well. I have already tried draw.io and SmartDraw for Confluence but unless I am missing it, they don't pull the user data from Confluence.

Any help is appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christine Bork September 6, 2018

Hi Tim!

As you've used draw.io, you probably know that you can easily import Visio diagrams into draw.io and from then on, work with them in Confluence. Keeping your org charts in Confluence (not just as images), will make sure they are versioned just like page content, and anyone who has access can edit them - you'll no longer need a stand-alone third-party tool which typically only a few users have access to.

If you can export a CSV file of your users with the organization's structure, you can import that CSV file into draw.io to create your org chart. I would guess that this could be automated with scripting apps, but as we have never tried to export our user accounts into this format, I can't be sure it'd work. If you are adventurous and you have some scripters in your organization, please do give it a try and let us know how it goes!

If you are after a simple automated system to get an idea of where someone is within the organization's structure, Linchpin User Profiles can display a dynamically updating org chart for any employee, showing their supervisor and the employees they are responsible for.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Christine

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events