One requirement, multiple test versions

John Milasch January 10, 2019

Assuming I have requirement R1. In JIRA, to identify this as requirement valid for versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0, I assign both fix versions to the requirement. R1 is tested by test T1 and requirement status is OK for 1.1.0, which is released.

Now, I plan for version 2.0.0. R1 is still valid for 2.0.0 so I assign its respective fixversion. As a result, R1 fix versions are 1.0.0, 1.1.0 and 2.0.0. However because the implementation of R1 changed, test T1 no longer works. I then create test T2 and now R1 is covered by T1 and T2.

The requirement status will show as not run for R1 unless I test T1 and T2, regardless of the tests fix versions. 

Do you suggest a way of supporting this scenario with Jira XRay so that a test applies to only a group of versions of a requirement?

E.g. T1 tests R1 versions 1.0.0 and 1.1.0, T2 tests R1 versions 2.0.0.

1 answer

0 votes
Inês Silva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

Hello John,

Thank you very much for using Xray Server.

In this case, it may is useful for you if you check the options available in the Requirement Coverage in Xray. You can define a Requirement Coverage Strategy and this will define how the Requirement Status must be calculated.

You can check the related documentation here and this configuration can be done in the Xray settings (Administration > Add-ons > Xray > Requirements Coverage). 

Best regards, 

Xray Team

John Milasch February 15, 2019

The two options in the Requirement Coverage Strategy are not great for us. The only viable option would be to use the Test Set option to separate between the 2 test case versions. We don't use test sets though because when you have about 600 requirements, continuously evolving it is really hard to keep things in sync, requirement versions with test sets with tests, etc.

The best option for us would be to have a 3rd "Requirement Coverage Strategy" - that only matching tests fix versions are considered to compute coverage.

Should I file a request for it?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events