Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

OAuth2

Edited

I need to authorize users using the Jira Crowd server. I see it in my Confluence and I am able to use it to authenticate my users in Confluence using the user base from Jira. It shows that Jira is a crowd server.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/auth/crowd.html

When I try to use the solution above, the URL for JIRA doesnt seem to work. Is there an specific address I need to use for access into the JIRA internal crowd server?

I was also looking into:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/auth/atlassian.html

But it seems like a cloud only type of ID as a beta. I would like to use my current JIRA users in my installation.

How can I do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B Atlassian Team Oct 23, 2020

Hello @rodyarantes ,

This question has been opened against Confluence Cloud, but by reading your post it looks like you are actually using Jira and Confluence Server and that you are trying to integrate them with Gitlab.

Is this correct or you are trying to do anything else?

Please let me know since I believe you have opened this question in the wrong collection and, in case, I can move it to the right one and add the proper tags so that you will have higher chances to get a reply.

Also, in order to try to clarify:

1. Crowd is a standalone product for Identity management that has nothing to do with Jira: https://www.atlassian.com/software/crowd
  2. You can configure Confluence to use either Crowd or Jira for user management, but this does not mean you have Crowd:
  3. The first documentation page from Gitlab you mentioned is only applicable if you have Crowd
  4. The second documentation page from Gitlab is only applicable to Cloud products.

Cheers,
Dario

Hey Dario, 

Please move this ticket to the Jira Server queue.

1 - Correct, but when you go in Confluence, it shows that I am connected to a Crowd server in my Jira Server installation. It might be just a "light version" of it, but it is there. (See picture)

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.56.51 PM.png

Dario B Atlassian Team Oct 27, 2020

Hi @rodyarantes , 

I can confirm that what you are seeing is a 'light' version of crowd and that it cannot be configured in external/3rd party app for Identity management.

Also, since you are trying to integrate with Gitlab, I am thinking I should move this question to the integrations section instead.

If you can write a bit more details on you are trying to achieve (and what your requirements are), maybe we can suggest other ways to do that.

Cheers,
Dario

Hey @Dario B , 

All I want to do is be able to authenticate users into GitLab using JIRA's user directory.

Dario B Atlassian Team Oct 28, 2020

Hi @rodyarantes ,

Thanks for clarifying, I have moved this thread to the marketplace and integrations section. 

As already mentioned, the internal Jira Crowd cannot be configured in external/3rd party app for Identity management.

Now, I might not be the best person to answer your question since I work with Cloud products, however what could be done in your case is the following:

1. Connect Jira to an LDAP directory
  2. By doing this you will have the scenario "Confluence connecting to JIRA for user management, with JIRA in turn connecting to LDAP"  described in the Confluence documentation page: Connecting to Crowd or Jira for User Management
  3. Connect Gitlab to LDAP

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Apps & Integrations

🍻🍂Apptoberfest Update: Upcoming Virtual Events 🎉

Hello Community! I hope you've been enjoying the 🍂Apptoberfestivities🍂 (I know I have!) The event is heating up next week with a series of virtual events that we're calling the 🍻🍂Partner App ...

470 views 5 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you