News add-on tile behavior

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

Hi, new News user here. I'm wondering if there's any way to control the behavior of how the tiles in the News theme are displayed? Specifically in my case, the first image file on the blog page is displayed, but magnified to an extreme. It looks awful:

2019-02-15_08-11-16.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

@Darryl St_ Pierre the latest release of the app now treats images that are smaller than the space provided differently so that they won't be stretched.

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2019

Great! Will take a look as soon as I have a chance.

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2019

Very cool, displays much better now!

A feature request for when you're bored someday: Option to modify the text color on the tiles... :)

Like James Dellow likes this
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

BTW I'm introducing a paid version of the app soon (and refreshing the design of the original free version), where you will have more control over the look and feel. See https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/News-for-Confluence-Cloud-is-changing/ba-p/1453566

0 votes
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2019

This is a very simple add-on, so there aren't any controls at this point.

The way it currently works is that, if it exists, the add-on selects the first image attached to the blogpost and then uses CSS to resize the image to cover the entire container, which unfortunately will stretch the image to make it fill the space.

However, thanks for the feedback - as soon as I get a chance, I will explore enhancing it to check the dimensions of the image and processing it differently.

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2019

Thank you James. I guess a workaround for now would be to put an extra “dummy” image or a blank image at the beginning of the post?

James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2019

Yes, as long as the image is visible when you view it - the add-on parses the content displayed to find the first image, not the attachments (so it can work with attached and embedded images).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events