Need to be able to use a URL to go directly to Test Cycle page with Version included in Zephyr

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2014

When asking clients to test - I go to the test cycle page and choose my project, and Select Version. Then I copy the URL paste it into an email to the clients. But they click on the link and it takes them to the test cycles page but the Select Version is not the one I chose before I copied the link.

Can this be modified please so that the URL I copy from the Test Cycles page and send to someone else also applies the Select Version chosen before I copied the URL?
Thank you - JS

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
G3 June 4, 2014

(this was originally a response in your other question thread about 'no back button'... moved here for more direct relevance)

JS...

This is not a direct resolution to your dilemma (about the back button returning you to test cycle page with version), but we have a similar process and use the 'Search Test Executions' feature directly along with 'Cycle Names' and fix versions VS. routing through the Tests > Plan Test Cycle > Project path you choose.

You probably already know this (and Emily mentions this above)... essentially your method produces an execution search with queries built from your navigation. I've become accustomed to just using JQL (and now ZQL) for various searches. Searching test executions is different from just searching for issues and requires ZQL (but imo, it would be clutch for that search to also allow JQL).

Anyway, here's how I prepare a test suite for client testers/UAT/etc...

• I go directly to the 'Search Test Executions' page and in the search command line enter:
  • project = "name of project" AND fixVersion = "verbatim version" AND cycleName in ("name of cycle")
  • That will produce the all of the executions of a test I want someone to go through.
  • This will also produce a unique URL specifically for that search.
  • So, let's say I have three seperate test cycles (with 5-15 test executions) for UAT review. I run that search three times, copy/paste the separate URLs in the communication to the UAT group, and point them to the URLs to accomplish their testing along with any other instructions.

That is one way I handle it (depending on the audience/recipients... others I've helped train to run their own searches).

Again... this would be more of a workaround to your feature dilemma/request.

Regards,

- Gray -

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2014

Thank you for your response. This is another work around I will let the team know about. Our clients/users probably won't ever get to the point where they will be running their own searches but we could run them and produce the URL for some testing. But this does cause more work. First create the test cycles, add the tests and now do a search for each test cycle and save that (when wasn't the Test Cycle page supposed to remove the need for me to then search for those cases and save them?)

But thank you very much for you response!

G3 June 4, 2014

You are welcome... and now that you've described the process... here's a better, quicker route for you to use when producing the URLs (based on the cycle searches):

• Head to the test cycle page in the project
  • "Cntl + click" the cycles you need... to open each of them in new browser tabs
  • Set up your email/communication
  • Visit each tab and copy/paste the URL from tab to email/communication

Should be able to knock it all out in a few moments.

I use "Cntl + 'W'" to quickly close the tabs after using "Cntl + 'L'" to highlight the address/URL and "Cntl + 'C'" to copy the URL... then "Cntl + 'Tab'" to get to the email. Common hotkeys/keystrokes, I know... but it makes the whole process really quick.

- Regards -

0 votes
Chris Allan July 15, 2020

Hello, I know this question is now very old, however, for anyone still looking for an answer.... You can do the below.

From within your test cycle, if you select Execute on any of your test cases, once taken to the Test case itself up top you will see the breadcrumb trail i.e. (Project name) / (Release name) / (Cycle name) / (JIRA Card ID)

If you just right click and copy link to the Cycle name, that will then take anyone who opens that link, directly to the test cycle.

I hope this helps.

0 votes
Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2014

I can use the work-around in Firefox to copy the location of the link for each test cycle.

But it would be nice to be able to just copy the URL from the page after choosing the Select Version no matter which browser and paste it into an email to take the client to all of the Test Cycles for that version.

When I go to the test cycles page and then select a version the URL doesn't change to include the version. But I copy it and open a new browser and paste it in there. It does take me to the test cycle with the select version I was on. But if you email that URL to another person and they put it in their browser it only takes them to the test cycle page. It doesn't select the version for them.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2014

Hi J S,

One thing you can do is if you are using Fire Fox, you can right click on the cycle you want to take them to directly and click "Copy Link Location" and send them that link. What will happen is it will take them to the Search Test executions page BUT it will contain only the tests in that cycle. Then they can execute from there.

Also, if I go into test cycles page, select a version and take the link from that page, it does take me directly to the cycles page with the selected version. Of course you need to log into JIRA first but then it kept the version I selected.

Can you please let me know what browser and its version you are using?

Kind Regards,

Emily

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2014

I can use the work-around in Firefox to copy the location of the link for each test cycle.

But it would be nice to be able to just copy the URL from the page after choosing the Select Version no matter which browser and paste it into an email to take the client to all of the Test Cycles for that version.

When I go to the test cycles page and then select a version the URL doesn't change to include the version. But I copy it and open a new browser and paste it in there. It does take me to the test cycle with the select version I was on. But if you email that URL to another person and they put it in their browser it only takes them to the test cycle page. It doesn't select the version for them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events