Problem Statement – Customer acquired 3 companies last year. Now they want to merge the individual Jira instance of these 3 with their own Jira instance, so that instead of 4 they just need to operate one Jira instance. What should be their strategy for this and what are key things to keep in consideration while designing a solution for it?
a) Related to Jira Admin
1. What version of Jira software runs in each instance?
2. What is license type in each instance. Is licensing consistent? Does the license cost allow migration of license to new server?
3. Do all instances use same type of DB?
4. What different type of roles are created in each
5. Which different plugins have been used? Are plugins in one instance compatible with versions in other Jira instances.
6. Do each of these instances have Single Sign On? Do we need to create federated SSO in that single instance
7. Are these instances integrated with other DevOps tools/ Version control systems
8. Is there automated monitoring of Jira instances?
b) Related to project admin
1. How many workflows have been designed and actively used in the current instances?
2. Are there custom fields and custom screens designed that will need to be migrated/ recreated in unified instance?
Is there any other things we need to keep in mind while preforming this activity?
Thanks in advance
That's a good list of the key things. We have an app that could help you with this too. Project Configurator for Jira specialises in helping to make migrations easier (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211147/project-configurator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview).
Specifically, I'd suggest running the Object Dependencies Report https://docs.adaptavist.com/pc/jira/server/latest/object-dependencies-report.html
and the Conflict Detection Report to give you better visibility of your instances and potential issues with the migration.
Also, the Simulated Import feature allows you to check the import will work as you expect before applying it for real.
This video, about a company acquisition, will show you how the Simulated import works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geNMl1hX1A&list=PLTfQ5lMxqu9q4lD3dR_xU2qDu-x9Wsxn6&index=3
Feel free to DM me if you'd like some more details.
Hope that helps,
from my experience merging instances is not a trivial task to do - you mentioned even merging four. In case you want to do manual exports, there is indeed documentation on how to do exports/imports:
This will not capture configuration like workflows, roles and all what else makes a Jira project.
Using an App is, from my experience, without alternative in such a complex scenario.
One indicator is that even official documentation involves an App while describing the scenario.
Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events