• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Need help with JMWE add-on execution - Prevent new stories added to closed epic

Hi, I have got users adding new stories to EPIC that have already been resolved/Done.

Can someone please help with how we can use the JMWE add-on to achieve this. Thank you ! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Aisha,

this is only possible on Jira Server.

You need to add a "Parent Status Validator" on the Create transition of the subtasks (or shared) workflow, which is accessible in the graphical workflow editor (it starts from the large "dot"), and check the statuses the parent issue must be for the subtasks to be allowed to be created (basically all statuses except Done).

You can also specify a custom error message.

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ Hello David. Thank you for the reply.

Does tthis work the same for Epic and story ? I tried and it still allows creating stories under CLOSED epics.

For Epic/Stories, you need to use the "Linked Issues Status Validator" instead, with the "belongs to epic" link type.

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ Hi, is the below validator correct ? I added it at the create transition.

All issues linked to the current issue through the is Epic of (from Epic to Stories) link type must be in one of the following statuses: Open or  To Do
The following message will be displayed if validation fails: The Epic is already closed. Select a different Epic

But still doesn't work. 

You need to select the "has Epic (from Story to Epic)" link type instead.

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ I changed and still able to create stories under closed epics. Any input on what error I could be making ?

Which version of JMWE for Jira Server are you using?

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ I was able to achieve this using workflow properties instead. Anyway Thank you so much for helping out 

Hi Aisha, would you mind sharing your solution here with the community?

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ Definitely !

Added the below workflow property at the DONE status (not at the transition).

Property Name: jira.issue.editable

Property value: False

Hope this helps :)

Hi @Aisha M

I tried implementing your suggested solution, but was still able to add an open child issue under a closed parent issue. Also, I was able to edit/reopen the closed issue.

Maybe you can explain what the user experience is supposed to be by adding that Property Name and Property Value to the Done Status?

@David Fischer _Innovalog_ maybe you can clarify if you have a solution using JMWE? I am using Jira Data Center 8.5.5.

@Gil Vinokoor workflow properties are documented here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-workflow-properties/

And when you tried, did you use "false" as the value (instead of "False" as Aisha improperly typed)?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

How to log work and track time in Jira when a person is part of multiple teams

The manager’s daily activities include a list of challenges to reach high levels of efficiency for their teams. Part of these challenges is related to how to deal with the worklog systems sin...

58 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you