Need help to connect to JIRA by using Eclipse BIRT(Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools).

vimala nunavath June 17, 2012

Hi,

Can anyone help me, how can I connect to the JIRA tool with Eclipse BIRT inorder to fetch the 'created/solved/open' issues in the selected project which reside in JIRA. The fetched data in the report should be displayed in eclipse BIRT report.

Hope the question is clear and able to understand!!

Thanks for the help in advance!!

BR,

Vimala

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2012

You might be better off asking this in Eclipse/BIRT forums.

Jira has a database behind it which you can read without going through the front end or even any of the code (never ever write to it though!). I know BIRT offers a tool which you can include in an application which makes it easier to use, but it's not included in Jira, so you've got a bit of integration work to do if you want to use that. If you want to use it raw, then you'll need a database connection, and then a dictionary to enable your reports to understand and use the data in Jira. But this isn't really a Jira question, it's about hooking up BIRT to something, and it doesn't really matter that the something is Jira.

To get you started with the Jira side though, you mention a simple "created/solved/open" report. That's quite simple to define, it's all on the table jiraissues, although you'll need "where project = 12345" or "where key starts with PKEY", and you may want to join to the status table to read the human names of status.

Two brief warnings if you're going to do this

1. Think about load. If you're doing the odd small report every now and then, that's fine, but if you're replicating Jira reports, you could be hitting the database a LOT harder than Jira ever does. (Remember - Jira doesn't issue many reads of the database, especially for reporting, because database queries are slow and resource intensive). If it is going to be used a lot, swap to reading a replicated slave of the database to avoid loading the master server which is providing Jira to the end users
  2. Jira's security is handled inside the application. Exposing the database to users means that they can see everything, including all the stuff their Jira permissions do not usually let them see. In some places that is fine. In some, it's a killer because it's not fine (potentially illegal in some places I've worked) and you absolutely MUST think of this before you expose any of your data.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2012

Oh, yes, and what Jacek says in his answer too - I think the connector is more there for "developer is fixing stuff in Eclipse and this saves them having to go wandering around in a separate browser session", but it's very useful.

vimala nunavath June 18, 2012

Hi Jacek,

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the atlassian eclipse connector and started using it. After adding the JIRA repository, I have checked validate setting to check whether the server is working or not. I got the message like: The server authentication and given credentials are valid When I am trying to create a new JIRA Query in the eclipse IDE I am getting error like "Failed to download project list: Premature end of file." and "Query synchronization failed - premature end of file".

I have posted this error in eclipse forum, but didnot get any answer.

Hope you will you help to solve this error.

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Vimala

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2012

That might be permission problem. Can you make sure or ask your JIRA admin to check if you have a 'browse project' permission in JIRA?

Ravi Singh July 22, 2016

Hi,I am using Kintosoft's SQL for JIRA & SQL for JIRA Reports And Charts.

earlier all reports ware displaying data on Dashboard but now few reports are giving error as below:

org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Cannot execute the statement.
org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException: SQL statement does not return a ResultSet object.
SQL error #1:Exception calling user-defined function: "getBoards(conn964: url=jdbc:default:connection user=, [Ljava.lang.Object;@5629135b, org.h2.tools.SimpleResultSet@3bc08bf1): null"; SQL statement:(here my query)

thanks in advance

Ravi Singh July 24, 2016

Hi Pablo Beltran,

Thanks for reply,  I have raised an issue in Kintosoft's JIRA tracker.  Issueid - BIRT-5

Regards,

Ravi singh

1 vote
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2012

Have you tried Atlassian Connector for Eclipse? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/IDEPLUGIN/Installing+the+Eclipse+Connector

It allows to connect Eclipse to JIRA and fetch issues. I'm not sure if available issue list (task list) will be sufficient for your needs though.

Cheers,

Jacek

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2015

If you want to integrate Birt with JIRA then you might want to read more about this add-on: Birt Reports for JIRA.

It resolves all the issues mentioned in this thread: security, overload, etc. It's worth having a look.

Ravi Singh July 22, 2016

Hi,I am using Kintosoft's SQL for JIRA & SQL for JIRA Reports And Charts.

earlier all reports ware displaying data on Dashboard but now few reports are giving error as below:

org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.EngineException: Cannot execute the statement.
org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException: SQL statement does not return a ResultSet object.
SQL error #1:Exception calling user-defined function: "getBoards(conn964: url=jdbc:default:connection user=, [Ljava.lang.Object;@5629135b, org.h2.tools.SimpleResultSet@3bc08bf1): null"; SQL statement:(here my query)

thanks in advance

0 votes
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2012

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events