Multi-Level Cascading Select - CSV import throws an exception

samilempinen August 27, 2019

We are trialing the Multi-Level Cascading Select plugin, and when importing options, the plugin throws an exception. Our CSV is structured as per the example. In the "Confirm to proceed with the import", all options are correct, so the CSV seems to have been read in correctly.

However, when clicking Import, the following exception is thrown. Some of the options from the CSV are imported correctly, but the majority are missing:

java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.sourcesense.jira.plugin.webwork.ImportOptionsFromCsvAction.handleImportedValue(ImportOptionsFromCsvAction.java:183) [?:?]
	at com.sourcesense.jira.plugin.webwork.ImportOptionsFromCsvAction.doImportOptionsConfirm(ImportOptionsFromCsvAction.java:154) [?:?]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [?:1.8.0_102]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) [?:1.8.0_102]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) [?:1.8.0_102]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) [?:1.8.0_102]

Any ideas about what may be going wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gianluca Cristiano August 27, 2019

Hi @samilempinen we are happy to give you help.

We would need the following information:

- Version of Jira;

- Version of the MLCS plugin;

- Current MLCS configuration;

- The CSV file you are trying to import;

- Have you tried reindexing?

We are waiting for feedback.

Best regards

- Jira Server is at 7.10.2,

- MLCS is at 5.0.5,

- What do you mean by MLCS configuration?

The CSV is confidential, so I would need to mock the data somehow. I will try reindexing next.

Hi @samilempinen ,

Thanks for this informations.

Could you create a support ticket for this problem?

We will be happy to help you.

We would need an example of configuration for check if there is any particular character that blocks the import process.

We are waiting for the ticket so we can proceed to the resolution of the problem.

Best regards

Thanks for your kind offer!

However, I was able to troubleshoot this myself. I opened the offending data CSV and found that some entries contained dual separators (i.e. holes in the data), such as

Level1;Level2;;Level4

I fixed those and the import was successful.

If anything, the error message could be a little more informative. Thanks! 

Hi @samilempinen 

We are happy that you have solved the problem.
In the next releases we will review the error messages during the check CSV file.

Thank you

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

HI @Gianluca Cristiano ,

I have had problems importing a CSV to populate a multi-level select list. I got 500 errors immediately,  every time.

I also have an unrelated question about this plugin, posted elsewhere - IF you have a moment :)

0 votes
Srikanth Ganipisetty June 20, 2021

I'm having summary field mapping error, which I don't know how to map the summary field. Can anyone help me fixing this issue? @Gianluca Cristiano 

Srikanth Ganipisetty June 23, 2021

This is because of the bugs they have in older version and it got resolved in app update. 

Thanks. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events