Move issues between projects in Automation for JIRA?

Reiss Snooks November 15, 2018

Is it possible to move issues between projects using Automation for JIRA? I can't see any obvious action that will allow me to do this.

The reason being is we have a central service desk in London where all issues are logged. We have customers specify which "location" they are based at and the team use that to send to the right projects afterwards.

I wanted to save some time by having Automation for JIRA query that field and then move issues between projects appropriately.

Is this a limitation of JIRA Clouds API or just something that hasn't been included within the addon?

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user November 15, 2018

Hey there Reiss,

Yeah, like Nick said, there's no easy way to move an issue with Jira's APIs. 

With Automation for Jira, the recommended way to deal with this is to use the "Create Issue" action and copy over the fields you're interested in and then delete the original issue. It could looks something like:

Project_automation_-_Your_Company_Jira.png

Let us know if you need more info!

Cheers,

Mark C

Josh Nelson August 4, 2020

Do you know if this moves screen shots?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2018

Mostly, it's Jira (and this applies to server too).  Moving an issue is not a trivial thing.  Jira needs to check the issue has valid configuration for the new project and possibly ask about how the user wants to amend the data to make it fit the new configuration (or at least warn people of data loss)

It's a pig to code for and worse when you do have different configs.

Generally, if you think you want to move issues regularly, you've got a process that doesn't fit with the way Jira works, and it would be better to look at setting it up so you don't have to move it.  A location field might solve this for you?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events