Microsoft Teams for Jira addon - What does the business model look like

Tillmann Zerfass August 5, 2020

We are currently looking at the possibilities of connecting Microsoft teams and JIRA and found the Microsoft Teams for Jira addon (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217836/microsoft-teams-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=support).

In doing so, we ask ourselves the question how such an application can be offered for free. The infrastructure in the background alone has to be operated and financed. What does the business model look like? Is data stored outside of Microsoft and the JIRA environment? If so, where?

2 answers

3 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2020

Hi Tillmann, welcome to the Community!

Some initial confusion might be over the vendor listing of the Teams app in the Marketplace. Currently it is listed under SoftServe, one of our solution partners. Microsoft and Atlassian co-developed this particular integration with SoftServe - so the costs are carried by Atlassian. I hope that clarifies a bit about the pricing!

In terms of strategy, we believe that you can do your best work by integrating your tools and switching between them less. We've invested in integrations with Teams, Slack, and VS Code just to name a few. You can learn more about the integrations work we're driving on our integrations site.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Tillmann Zerfass August 7, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for clarifying. It helps us understand what the business model is.

when i look at the interplay of both tools, i get the impression that there is another infrastructure component running between the JIRA server and the team instance:

https://jira-server.msteams-atlassian.com/

Who operates this? What exactly happens there? Is the data stored there? And especially in which country is the data stored? A company must be able to answer all these questions before such a tool is put into operation. Are there any documents?

I would be very grateful if you could still answer my questions.

Like # people like this
Simon Hackel August 24, 2020

I too would be interested in the answers since it is not at all clear what is stored and transmitted to this Azure-hosted component and the documentation seems a bit non-professional for an official Atlassian/Microsoft app.

Also strange that it is referred to as "third party" everywhere...

Like # people like this
Hamzah Mohamed January 20, 2021

@Daniel Eads Do you have time to respond to Tillmann's follow-up? We have infosec worries about this too.

Like # people like this
Move Work Forward
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

Hi guys,

Nice questions @Tillmann Zerfass 

I can only speculate, but in order for an external system to contact Jira/Confluence Server the App/middleware should have OAuth secrets stored to represent a caller to Jira.

So, as a minimum, that Azure component must store (hopefully encrypted) all secrets to all connected environments, otherwise you cannot connect from outside to Jira/Confluence. The rest of data (like account mapping between Microsoft and Atlassian) can be stored inside or outside.

We are working on our Microsoft Teams Jira Connector and our multiple customers are asking the same questions, so we put down a short page to explain things - https://help.moveworkforward.com/MTJC/Microsoft-Teams-Atlassian-2-way-Connection-Architecture.1657372673.html

We are currently developing the first version of the Microsoft Teams Bot with a possibility to run the middleware component in a multi tenant/single tenant or your infrastructure (AWS/Azure/Docker). If you are interested please let me know.

I am happy to have a video call with you to understand your security, compliance and data residency requirements, please schedule the chat here - https://www.moveworkforward.com/microsoft-teams-atlassian-consultation

Regards,

Leo

CC @Hamzah Mohamed @Simon Hackel 

Like Hamzah Mohamed likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

Hi Tillmann,

I have no idea what the business model is, but I suspect it is like most products. If you get some integration with other popular or heavily used apps, then more people will be likely to use your app. Otherwise they will use your competitor's app that DOES have that integration. 

So it's worth the investment for both Atlassian and Microsoft to form that partnership. I suspect both apps store data in their respective environments. But if you are already using both, that shouldn't be a problem. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events