Mass Jira Issue Auto Creation

tletz24 May 14, 2021

My team & I's Jira projects entail a lot of the same issues repeated over and over again. We would like a way to automatically create a whole hierarchy of Jira issues whenever the issues at the highest point in the parent-child hierarchy transition states. We occasionally update the "templates" for these stories, but not frequently.

Would anyone have any thoughts or ideas when it comes to potentially automating this work?

2 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hi @tletz24  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

We setup an Automation for Jira rule that creates multiple cards when an Epic is created. And it links the cards to the Epic. 

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
tletz24 May 14, 2021

That's exactly what we are looking for! can we create subtasks that link to those stories as well?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Absolutely.

tletz24 May 14, 2021

How well will this automation work with the "Structure" Plugin for Jira?

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

I can't answer that since I don't use that plugin   :-(

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

Shame on you, @John Funk  ;) 

@tletz24  we (ALM Works) have quite a bit of experience working with customers who use Jira Automation with Structure.

Off the top of my head, I can't imagine why this use case would "not work" in an environment with Structure + Jira Automation, but of course, the devil is in the details. 

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out. If you run into any trouble just speak up here, or via our support portal.

-dave [ALM Works]  

Like John Funk likes this
Tom Jones [Appsvio]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2021

Hi @tletz24 

You can use Automation and it should be ok for most simple cases. But if you are looking for something advanced then a dedicated app would be a better choice. 

I'm a vendor of Scheduled Templates which provides features like:

• private and public templates 
  • dynamic due date 
  • Epic-Story and parent-subtask template 
  • adding issues into future sprints 

but you can find more apps with features you are looking for. 

Cheers, 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events