Making a custom workflow to trigger another task and transition according to sub-task status

BSB Raghav November 26, 2015

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of making the trial version plugins 1. Create on Transition 2. Misc Workflow Extensions to be working in association to my custom made workflows in jira.

I'm getting this color coded message at the post function: "Notify your administrator that "Bob Swift Atlassian Add-ons - Create on Transition" requires a valid license. Reason: No license found for plugin with key: org.swift.jira.cot".

Questions:

1. Why is this message showing up
  2. While making custom flows work with such plugins, what are the essential conditions, validations, post functions to be performed without which such workflows doesn't trigger the required output properly.
  3. Can the statuses of parent and sub-task + another issue type (in association as the case be here) be different and no matter how, the workflow will behave as expected in transitioning all 3 issues in accordance?
  4. Any other considerations to be taken into account?
  5. Which is simple and easiest form of creating a flow between a Story (the main status indicator) and will have sub-tasks (with a diff workflow) and will also have another issue type called verification Task (with a diff workflow and this will be triggered upon a transition from story status). All 3 should transit as per their individual statuses however, story should be able to tell the actual level at which the work is in progress/done etc...

Looking forward to your earliest answers. 

Thank you

Raghav

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2015
  1. Because you are using an add-on and you have no licence for it installed.  Go to admin -> manage add-ons and check the licence for it.  Either buy and install it if you need the add-on, or remove it if you don't.  If you're not sure, then disable it for now and see how you get on.
  2. There's no way of knowing that - we don't know what you want your workflow to do.  The system will automatically deal with the ones it needs, but the rest are up to you as the workflow designer
  3. Every issue is a separate entity.  They have their own status.  It is possible to code things to make the status of issues change if things are done elsewhere, or prevent status change if certain things are not in the right state, but that's all done in code.  Off the shelf, an issue has its own status and other issues do not touch that (except in Agile boards - if you transition all an issue's sub-tasks to "done", it will transition the parent to "done" for you)
  4. Many probably, but you'll need to find them as you build your workflows.
  5. It sounds like you want to build a "story" workflow that has post-functions that check the sub-tasks and transition them if they are in the wrong status.
BSB Raghav December 8, 2015

I could make the workflow behave the way we wanted. Here is what I did. used the plugin Create on Transit to make sub tasks automatically created and then used the other plugin Misc Workflow Extensions to update story point status automatically based on corresponding sub-tasks statuses. Regards, Raghav

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events