MS Project Import

Guy Mowbray June 15, 2021

So the blurb WBS Gantt from Ricksoft seamlessly imports from MS Project.

Tried it - No resource imported, No Dependencies Imported, No Custom Fields Imported, just basic information, and only works if I use a small file with a hundred or so tasks.

My tasks in MS Project are assigned to multiple resources eg 60% Fred 40% Gill, but cant see how this would work in WBS Gantt. Also how would I manage non linear resource profiling?

Am I wasting my time trying to import this sort of data into WBS Gantt, as far as I can see there aren't enough data fields to allow it to full map.

Or am I missing the point somewhere?

1 answer

0 votes
Priscila Calisto Marques June 16, 2021

Hello @Guy Mowbray, we hope you are well!

Thank you for bringing this behavior to our attention and creating this Community Question.

Please find the answer to the question provided below:

Tried it - No resource imported, No Dependencies Imported, No Custom Fields Imported, just basic information, and only works if I use a small file with a hundred or so tasks.

Each Microsoft Project field is imported as a Jira issue field with the following conversion table. The destination Jira field of the planned dates (Start Date, Finish Date, Baseline Start Date, and Baseline Finish Date) and % Complete varies depending on the configurations in the WBS Gantt-Chart for Jira.

For more information access the article below: Importing from Microsoft Project 

My tasks in MS Project are assigned to multiple resources eg 60% Fred 40% Gill, but cannot see how this would work in WBS Gantt. Also, how would I manage nonlinear resource profiling?

We assume that you meant how to display the resources if is that. When you click select View ⇒ Resources on the operations toolbar, the allocation status of each resource is displayed in the histogram. (check the screenshot below). 

Resource View.png

For more information access the article below: Assigning resources 

Am I wasting my time trying to import this sort of data into WBS Gantt, as far as I can see there aren't enough data fields to allow it to the full map?

As mentioned in the first answer, each Microsoft Project field is imported as a Jira issue field with the following conversion table. Please check this article: Importing from Microsoft Project 

Also, it is possible to insert additional columns as required, in addition to standard columns (Issue name, Assignee, Plan dates, etc.). Follow these steps to configure additional columns.

1. WBS Gantt-Chart ⇒  Click on the icon of Gear, Choose Gantt Configure.

2. Click Edit of Columns

3. Select Additional field.

4. Click Add.

5. Click Edit for the column you have added. 

6. Edit additional column settings:

1. To confirm your change, check Edit;

2. If displaying columns for the first time, uncheck Hide display.

7. Click Update.

8. Repeat Steps 3-7 as many times as necessary.

For more information access the link below: 
Configuring additional columns 

We are looking forward to hearing more from you. If you need assistance with our plugins or have any other questions, please contact us anytime at  Ricksoft-support.atlassian.net  I will be happy to help.

We wish you a great day!

Best Regards,

Priscila Marques | Support Engineer

Ricksoft Support Team

Guy Mowbray June 23, 2021

I think your telling me that only the data in the conversion table is available for import, so in short Ricksoft does not have full capability to import the data I require. 

You can see the MS Project data by importing it into a database, from which you will see you are only picking up a few key items.

Gabriel Quadros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hello, @Guy Mowbray 

Thank you for your inputs.

In this case, you are correct. The WBS Gantt-Chart plugin can only import the Data from the conversion table provided by my colleague Priscila.

We are sorry to see that the plugin does not have the full capability to import the data you require.

We are looking forward to hearing more from you. If you need assistance with our plugins or have any other questions, please contact us anytime at Ricksoft-Support.atlassian.net. I will be happy to help.

We wish you a great day!

Kind Regards,
Gabriel Quadros | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

Guy Mowbray June 24, 2021

Thanks for the reply, I guess WBS Gantt is not going to work for me. 

I now understand from the community forums that Atlassain and all its add-ons  are based on single user assignments - "If you don't have just one person assigned to a task, how to you monitor and control responsibility" seems to be the general gist of replies. I get that,  but it means resource scheduling on collaborative team work is impossible to do properly. I think I must be looking at the wrong tool set.

Gabriel Quadros
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2021

Hello, @Guy Mowbray 

Thank you for your inputs and feedback.

We are sorry to see that the WBS Gantt-Chart plugin does not fit your needs at the moment.

If you need assistance with our plugins or have any other questions, please contact us anytime at Ricksoft-Support.atlassian.net. I will be happy to help.

We wish you a great day!

Kind Regards,
Gabriel Quadros | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events