Link to Confluence page in Automation for Jira

Dawid November 21, 2019

Hello, is it possible to create an automation that links a Confluence page to a task using Automation for Jira. I think I've looked everywhere, including entity properties, but I can't find a solution.

As a workaround, I'm just using the link in issue description, but since the front-end has this nice "Link Page" button that also looks neat after linking, I was hoping I could automate that as well.

23 answers

1 accepted

23 votes
Answer accepted
frother
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi Dawid,

It isn't currently possible. We have an open issue in our backlog to implement it. 

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-176

Sorry,

Scott.

Adam V April 6, 2020

This would be a very helpful function

Thanks Scott

Like # people like this
Ahmet Kilic May 12, 2020

+1

Like # people like this
david June 16, 2020

+1

Like thomas britton likes this
Jenny Severin June 18, 2020

+1

dstivanov June 22, 2020

+1

Stefan Krooshof July 7, 2020

+1

Kevin Suter July 23, 2020

As a workaround, you can also automatically add a comment and paste the link in the comment text if you don't want to use the issue description for this (e.g. if it is a copied issue).

Like # people like this
Ahmet Kilic July 24, 2020

It is an absolutely good idea, but not efficient. :(

W Bot February 3, 2021

+1

Sigrid H March 2, 2021

+1

Gary Erland April 1, 2021

+1

Sahar ben April 22, 2021

+1

Mark Kindy September 3, 2021

+1

Jan Stähle September 23, 2021

+1

sworcester November 19, 2021

+1

Michael Aglas September 5, 2022

well, not a good sign when it is still open... but what else to expect when Atlassian purchased it...

Michael Klaja November 23, 2022

+10

Henrique Degan March 25, 2023

+1

Che Achat April 13, 2023

+1

Kernchen April 24, 2023

+1

Bryce Berg May 3, 2023

+1

David Cao May 6, 2023

Hi team, any updates after 2.5 years?

Like # people like this
Jesse Zuniga May 10, 2023

+1

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2023

+1

Germán Isaurralde July 29, 2023

+1

David Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2023

+1

Matt Tomlin September 7, 2023

+1

Jens Wachtel September 20, 2023

+1

Anna Kochura December 13, 2023

+1

7 votes
Pavel Tyumenev June 8, 2023

To perform page linking via Automation you should:
1. create a "technical" account in jira an give hime neccessary rights
*I recomment using technical account, cause you'll have to save the authorization token into the roole and it will be visible
2. Log In with created Technicalaccount and Create Personal Api Token (PAT), here is instruction: https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/manage-api-tokens-for-your-atlassian-account/
** Certanly, you can create PAT to your account and use it, but i don't recommend it
*** Don't forget to Base 64 Encode the pair "techuser.email@yourdomain.com:<techuser personnal access token>"
3. Create an action "Send Web Request" like on screensot:

Automation - Jira - Google Chrome.jpg
Web request URL:
https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/rest/confluenceIssueLink/1/confluence?issueId={{issue.id}}&pageUrl={{createdPage.url}}
Headers:
Authorization: Basic Your_Base_64_Encoded_pair_User_token

Checkboxes: Check/Uncheck as you like, I think checking both of them is good idea

4. Save your rule and test

5. Relax
**** Thanks to @Cristiano for his helpful article https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automation-for-Jira-Send-web-request-using-Jira-REST-API/ba-p/1443828

Jimmy July 12, 2023

You are my life saver 👍

3 votes
Margie James July 30, 2020

+1

2 votes
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2021

+1

2 votes
Cassio Volcan June 22, 2021

+1

2 votes
Fabio Talevi December 8, 2020

+1

2 votes
twazanga November 18, 2020

+1

1 vote
bilel.arfaoui November 10, 2022

If you want to link the same confluence page to jira issues as linked page it is possible via web request component in jira automation module.

1 vote
Karen Corbeill November 9, 2022

++++1

1 vote
Yulia Ploshevsky August 3, 2021

+++++1

1 vote
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2021

I just published an article about how to create a new page and link it to a ticket. If you're trying to link an existing page, you might be able to modify the process; you'd need two webhooks - one to get the page, and one to post the changes (specifically the macro code for the link) back to it.

1 vote
Christopher_Lorking December 21, 2020

Is it really not possible to have an Automation link a Jira Issue to a Confluence page?

If done manually then the Confluence Page has a lovely 'X Jira links' up the top, and the Jira Issue has a 'Wiki page' sub heading in the 'Issue links' section with all linked Confluence Pages.

This linking functionality is wonderful, but why oh why is it not possible to do this from within a Jira Automation?

Michael Aglas September 5, 2022

use scriptrunner and everything is possible, even with AUT

0 votes
Ben Gallant May 24, 2023

This has been fixed - you now have Confluence automations, you can create confluence pages, and then update the issue and choose "Confluence Link" as the part you want to edit and use the smart value {{createdPage.url}} to insert the Confluence page you created on a previous step in the automation. Here's a page to help with some of the details: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/use-jira-automation-with-confluence/ 

Sigrid H May 24, 2023

This only describes a solution for newly created pages. But what if you want to add links to existing pages?

Like # people like this
Nemil Sanghrajka June 2, 2023

Hi @Ben Gallant , I tried to implement what you have described in the automation steps but haven't been able to find the "Confluence Link" field to be updated.

After I have created the Confuelce page from the automation, how do I update the "Confluence Link" for that issue in the same automation? Precisely, where exactly do I use the smart value {{createdPage.url}} for linking the issue with the Confluence page? 

Is it a separate "action" component for the auotmation or did you mean from the action component "Edit issue fields" (if yes even there, there is no "Confluence-Link" field available)?

Thanks for your efforts:

Best Regards,

Nemil

Like Dan Hoban likes this
Karen Corbeill June 2, 2023

I created a custom field that is type "URL field". In the automation, after the action to create the Confluence page from template, I have an action to edit that custom field to add {{createdPage.url}}.

0 votes
Mike Monk March 14, 2023

Is this still  being worked on? I would  love to be able to use this functionality

Mike Monk July 12, 2023

Hi @Ben Gallant

What you have linked to only relates to pages created in Confluence using the Jira Automation, not being able to add existing Confluence pages via their URL in the Automation functions

0 votes
Brian Catagnus March 9, 2023

+1

0 votes
Sébastien PRIOR January 12, 2023

+1

0 votes
bilel.arfaoui November 3, 2022

still no solution yet ?

0 votes
iurii October 14, 2022

+1

0 votes
Gabriel Points June 30, 2022

+1

0 votes
Derek Nasfell May 20, 2022

+1

0 votes
Yazy Favela March 30, 2022

+1

0 votes
Tamsyn O_Leary June 8, 2021

+1 this feature is definitely needed!!

0 votes
p0cket0m January 19, 2021

Please add this to automation. We want to collect all remote links from the comments and add them to the link section. Mentioned Confluence pages as well as external URLs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events